Message notifications not working consistently

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gowanis, Apr 24, 2015.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

sometimes i get a notification, sometimes I don't. Very disappointed so far, this thing is not working well.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Oh good. At least I'm not missing anything over my Pebble while waiting for my Apple Watch.

3. jjlannoo Suspended

mine is fine. no issues

4. ddoyle777 macrumors newbie

I've found out that mail notifications at least won't come over if your phone is on. Fooled me for a while.

5. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

its DAY 1 for a FIRST GEN product. Expect a software update soon.

6. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

This.

Same with messages. I'm so busy in the Watch app setting stuff up, that when it bings on my phone, the watch does nothing. I thought something was wrong.

7. jjlannoo Suspended

I think notifications go to the device your using first just like they do when your on a iPad or mac. people who don't have many apple devices might not be used to this

8. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

So you're saying that the message app on my Mac is superseding the watch ?

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

Do you have messages open on the iPhone iPad or Mac ?

----------

I think if your staring at your messages app on the Mac , the watch won't tap you

But I don't have a watch to test this

But that's how it works if the iPhone messages app is open

10. jjlannoo Suspended

if I'm using messages on my mac and get a new one it doesn't ding my phone unless I ignore it. Same on most apple devices and vice versa I would think. if you ignore it, it starts dinging everything.

11. ocrane macrumors member

ocrane

So I actually think this might be a feature, when I would be texting or doing something wearing my pebble and getting messages my wrist with just constantly vibrate. If the screen is on with the iPhone I don't get a buzz on the watch which actually I prefer

12. jjlannoo Suspended

correct it just dings what you are currently using. if you ignore it and don't read it, it will then ding other devices after a bit.

13. TEBnewyork macrumors regular

That's perfect. If I'm on computer or phone I don't need my watch to tell me the same thing I'm looking at. If they've got that worked into the whole continuity that's great. I wondered why I wasn't getting everything at first and figured out I was in the same app on laptop.

I gave up on Pebble early on because it was like drinking from a firehose.

14. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand that when you're on your Mac using Messages, if you ignore the incoming message, a short while later your iPhone and/or iPad will get the notification. That is not happening with the watch. It seems random when a message comes through (or not)

15. TEBnewyork macrumors regular

That just worked for me. I was responding to a message in iMessage and another message came in from someone else. I didn't go to it immediately and it then went to my watch.

My problem is that there is at least one mac, iPhone, iPad around and with continuity I get a lot of pings all over....phone calls can get annoying when they all start ringing.

16. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

I think its setup to start the convo with a notification and not keep notify you of an on going message convo. that would drain the battery faster

17. jjlannoo Suspended

lol yup i have 2 iPads the watch a mac and the phone. if i ignore a message they all start pinging

18. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Still not working properly for me. Phone was not in use in my pocket and incoming messages are not pinging me on the watch.

19. Manfonse macrumors newbie

Manfonse

Same here.

20. Higdonka macrumors newbie

Same Here

Come on Apple Really??

21. gusping macrumors 6502

Same. Notifications on the watch are so broken it's easier for me to use my phone.

22. dharmasarc macrumors member

dharmasarc

If you're on your phone why do you need the watch to go off and let you know you got a mail or a message. You can see that because you're on your phone!

I think some of you want it going off for the sake of it to justify your purchases.

23. ttexxan macrumors regular

I thought mine was doing the same as well. To make sure I turned the watch off then back on. Not noticing any issues now.

Another thing to note---The vibration is light to me esp wearing a milanese band even when set on Max. So now I have on the hepatic heavy vibration and sound. Everything seems to be coming through when phone is off..

FYI I made the same mistake about the emails not coming through when phone is on. That led me to the turning off/on. I prefer apple do it this way. With samsung got too many beeps or vibrates even while on my phone to the watch

24. MutantR macrumors member

Anyone figure this out? Just got mine and message notifications don't seem to ever work and email notifications are spastic at best. This is the primary reason I bought the watch and it doesn't work?