Message saying scratch disks are full... but they arent...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nagoshua, Nov 12, 2007.

1. nagoshua macrumors newbie

I own a macbook pro and its been working fine till now... I have just been editing some images on CS3 and i keep getting a message coming up saying that my scratch disk is full but i have 28 gig free on my hard drive so i dont get why this keeps coming up... it hasnt done it in and other program yet apart from when it does come up i get errors in lightroom saying it will have to close due to the same thing. I cant get anything done... could this just be a problem in CS3? I have bootcamp installed too just so you know, incase that could cause any problems.

2. nagoshua thread starter macrumors newbie

found out the problem!! I was trying to crop it to 1440cm x 900cm to try and get the picture in the same ratio as my monitor and this seems to make it wig out, i just changed these to lower values. Cropping confuses me anyway.... i always set the sizes to a ratio i would like to use.... for instance if i was a square composition ill crop it with a 1cm x 1cm crop but then photoshop thinks the image is 1cm x 1 cm, its annoying, even though i still dont have problems with the size of the picture and still have the same amount of pixels and dont appear to be 1cm square. Any help would be appreciated!!!

3. amc3495 macrumors newbie

check this

just happened to me, was trying to crop a picture to 426 px x 640 px and here is what went down . . . my usual setting is for inches but with the crop tool you can cheat it and just type in the unit you want to use, in this case i typed in the "px" after the number and it will crop it to pixels. so i was doing something else, closed photoshop and reopened it. PS was so helpful in keeping my 426 and 640 in there so i tried to crop it and kept getting the "scratch disks are full error" but had plenty of space. the reason? it kept the NUMBERS in the crop tool settings but had reverted back to my default UNITS and was trying to crop it at 426 in. x 640 in. needless to say, my mac mini doesn't roll that deep! hope this helps.

al

4. chuckienorton macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!

HOLY CRAP! This has been happening to me all morning, exactly the same! And I've been rebooting & deleting crap. My dimension were 909px x 200px, which was becoming 909in x 200in. You've just figured it out for me, Thanks!

(common Adobe, help us out a little by not releasing this stuff all bugged out!)

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I've had exactly the same issue - it seems that Photoshop has a bit of a problem trying to cope with (what it thinks are) large images.

Like the poster above, I first got this when - inadvertently - I was trying to crop a picture to use as a desktop wallpaper, and managed to select 1440 cm x 900 cm, instead of 1440 pixels x 900 pixels!

Thing is, this may be a CS3 issue, as I'm sure I never had this with earlier versions (and knowing me, I probably have made the same 'mistake' before, with CS2).

6. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I never use the CROP tool

It forces you to resample the image which you usually don't want to do.

I use the rectangle selection tool and type in the fixed aspect ratio usually.
    Then I never have that problem!