Message send failure iPhone 3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacAndy74, Sep 17, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

It's really odd and mainly only seems to happen when I try and send and SMS to a specific number in a contact. Yet, yesterday it was sending fine.

Anyway, I type a message and send it. Seems to get to about 90% on the progress bar - then stops and when I flip back to the conversation thread I see a 'Message send failure'... Seems to have started since upgrading to iPhone 3.1 OS.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Did you happen to get a phone call while it was sending? I had that one happen to me before and it's never done it before.

3. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, actually no but the strange thing is after turning off my iPhone and turning it on again all my SMS sending problems are over - for the time being :confused:

4. bruun2k macrumors newbie

I have the same problem - and runs the OS 3.1.
    I've noticed that the signal strength bar shows 'full strength', but I'm not able to call e.g. my voicemail. And my text messages (both SMS and MMS) and e-mail won't send/recieve.
    I've tried to turn it off using 'flight mode', then wait a minute or two - and then switch on again. Same problem.
    The only thing that works is restart. After that delayed text messages comes tumbling into my inbox.
    Frustrating...
    Before the OS 3.1 update I've had no problems what so ever with my iPhone (the '3G' version).
    Any ideas? Or do we cross our fingers and wait till next update?

/Thomas

5. bettyb macrumors newbie

i have the same issue.

if my phone hasn't been used for a while, i'll check my messages (or go to send one) and all of my connections have been broken. can't send or receive email, texts, nothin'. so i turn on airplane mode for a minute or so and when i turn it back on, after the "Searching...", then BOOM! all my messages come in like the flood.

this is seriously annoying. it's making me look extremely inefficient at work and there has got to be a fix! or a way to go back to 3.0. so far i am NOT a fan of 3.1

6. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Im experiencing the same thing, my texts and calls will randomly stop working and only a restart will solve it, but only temporarily. Worst part, I don't know when the connection has been broken until I try to call or text, meaning hours could go by where I'm missing texts and calls. I tried restoring from a backup with no luck. At this point, you fellas think it's AT&T or 3.1?
    I'm not noticing any issues with mail or data because I'm on wi-fi 98% of the time, but I'm sure I'd loose my data as well if I were on 3G. So, we can confirm that we're randomly loosing our connection to AT&T.

7. wilderness1957 macrumors regular

I travel alot for work and I have noticed over the past week that late at night my iPhone and Blackberry have been having full bars but no actual signal. I think towers may be getting the alst of the upgrades done to them getting ready for the MMS fiasco.

8. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

If it is actually AT&T, then for what it's worth, I'm reporting my issue from southern orange county, California...

9. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Same problem here.

I have a 3GS and my girlfriend has a 3G. Both of us have experienced this problem several times, but hers is much more pronounced and recurrent than mine. She had to restore her phone to make it stop, but it still happens. And yes, the restart method works for us as well, but only as a temporary fix.

I had a theory that it may be AT&T messing with their networks to get ready for the official MMS launch...or them upgrading our area to 850 mhz. But whatever it is, it never happened during 3.0.

10. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

I experienced this problem today, it never happened while using 3.0, after a reset though the message problem disappeared.

11. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Yea, this never happened to me on any other iPhone OS version, and restarting the phone is only a temporary fix because the issue comes and goes as it pleases (with my experience at least)

12. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Geez this is ridiculous....it's happening to me every few hours! WTF.

13. bruun2k macrumors newbie

I'm from Denmark and has the same problem. So I don't think it's AT&T's fault. I'm pretty sure it's OS 3.1.
    But: Yesterday I restored the device with iTunes (after backup) and for the last 24h I haven't had any problems at all.
    I wonder how long it will last...

14. bizurk macrumors newbie

Yeah same thing is happening here, I have no idea when the problem is in effect until I realize... "Hmm.. my lady hasn't texted me back in a while.. that bitc...." And I realize that it has no service at all. And I must restart. Happens to me every couple hours. But it seems it not happen when I'm at home in my wifi nest of love.

15. alisonro macrumors newbie

failure to send SMS

Yes; this was my exact experience today - prio to today all had been fine.

16. -MRB macrumors 6502

I was having this problem with my 3G.

Switching airplane mode on and off fixed (Temp)
    And turning 3G off solved it.

It happened on my iP4 too. But the new 4.1 update seems to have fixed it

17. Kobee macrumors newbie

I have a 3G and all has been great for a while now until today. I went to text me girlfriend and it got like 10% down and stopped and said message failure. Soo. I looked it up on safari. Which it still let's me use. And came to this site. I tried turning on airplane mode and no luck. And other ideas?