Messages across devices

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by tey112, Sep 11, 2012.

1. tey112 macrumors member

I have an iPhone running iOS 5.1.1 and a mac with ML on it. I have messages set up on both to receive at my apple ID email so I can continue conversations when I am away from my computer (and so they sync back).

The problem is, is there a way to temporarily disable messages on the phone so that it doesn't buzz non stop - annoying and a battery drain.

The best I can figure out is going to settings -> messages and turning off messages. But to re-enable it I have to sign back into my apple ID (not terrible, but annoying since the password is quite secure).

Any ideas, or am I just being a whiney b...?

2. coolguy879 macrumors member

3. tey112 thread starter macrumors member

Disabling it in the iphone notification center doesn't stop it from vibrating with each message. Is there no simple way to disable messaging alerts for a short time? The only time it won't buzz is when I actively have my cursor in the OSX Messages app, but, even then, the phone will still alert about 1/3 of the time.

4. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

If you just want to quit it vibrating the toggle is in settings: sounds.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Setting the Text Tone to None in Sounds does it for my 4S. No sound, no vibration (with vibration on).

6. tey112 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Looks like that is the simplest way to quickly disable the vibrations. Just have to remember to turn it back on once I leave work.