Messages alerting phone and not Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tyler23, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hi All,

Starting this morning, when I get a text message my phone is vibrating and the screen lights up to alert me to the new message, but my Watch stays silent and doesn't display the notification. Usually, when wearing the watch, only the watch alerts me to the message and the phone stays silent/dark.

This is only happening for messages. I am being alerted for emails on the Watch as you would expect.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any fix? Will re-pairing even fix this?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

To rule out user error, you do know that the Watch notifies you only when the iPhone is locked?

Otherwise, it's a known bug that re-booting usually resolves.

3. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yep, I am aware of that. My phone has been locked all morning but the lock screen lights up and phone buzzes when I get an iMessage. My Watch seems to be blissfully unaware that I have received the message.

So it is a common bug? I rebooted earlier before the problem started for a different reason. It seems the bug started after rebooting. I'm going to try un-pairing and re-pairing to see if that solves it.

4. papbot macrumors 6502

Don't unpair the watch. That's like using a sledge hammer to kill an ant! If you look around this is the most common bug reported and one of the easiest to fix. Just go to your phone Settings/Notifications/Messages and toggle off Allow Notifications and then toggle it back on.

I shudder when I see so many people immediately go to unpairing the watch. In addition to the possibility of a mishap, you lose Apple Pay, synced music playlist, and motion calibration.