Messages and autocorrection of spelling?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by KoolAid-Drink, Feb 2, 2017.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I have autocorrect of words/spelling turned off. It works in every app except for Messages. Can anyone else confirm they have the same problem in Messages?

2. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

Not having that problem here. Turning it off in the System Keyboard prefs turns it off in Messages—don't even need to restart messages, just exit and enter a new text entry box to "refresh" the setting.

I am running the latest Sierra beta though, so maybe it's a bug that's been fixed. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny using the regular shipping OS version.

3. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, MacGizmo. I'm on the latest stable version (10.12.3) - in System Preferences > Keyboard, I have "Correct spelling automatically" unchecked, and every other app honors this setting. In Messages, words are autocorrected. I have checked and then unchecked this setting, with Messages closed, to no avail. I tested this. It's been that way since 10.12.0, and was niggling at my nerves, but I finally found the time to write about it here.

Can someone with a stable, non-beta 10.12.3 (or lesser 10.12 version) confirm if they have the same issue? If it helps, I'm using English as the only language on my computer.