Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
If I delete a Message/iMessage on my iPhone or iPad, should it not delete on the watch, too?
Currently, that does not seem to be the case - it does delete from my iPad.

In addition, when deleting messages and such from the Apple Watch (4), is there a way to turn off the option of it forcing you to click 'trash' to complete the delete process?

Thanks in advance all

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
If I delete a Message/iMessage on my iPhone or iPad, should it not delete on the watch, too?
Currently, that does not seem to be the case - it does delete from my iPad.

In addition, when deleting messages and such from the Apple Watch (4), is there a way to turn off the option of it forcing you to click 'trash' to complete the delete process?

Thanks in advance all
You have to manually delete messages from the watch. This has been a complaint since watch S0.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Weird that Apple have not offered a sync option for deleting items. They seem to offer it on the iPad and iPhone, and even a Mac. Why leave the Apple Watch behind...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You have to manually delete messages from the watch. This has been a complaint since watch S0.
You have to manually delete SMS messages from the watch. But if you have iCloud Messages turned on, watch iMessages are deleted when you delete the message strand on the phone.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Hmm, in my iCloud settings, 'Messages' is on. And, it will delete message threads from my iPad. Oddly, just not from my Apple Watch 3 (current OS).

I wonder if its a timing thing. The iPad seems to delete almost instantly, but, the watch, I do not recall ever seeing it delete said messages, or even marking it as read on the watch...

You have to manually delete SMS messages from the watch. But if you have iCloud Messages turned on, watch iMessages are deleted when you delete the message strand on the phone.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Indeed it's been a MAJOR GRIPE of mine, and glad to see many others - since the promise of iMessages in iCloud was 'supposedly' supposed to resolve this 2 yrs ago; Grrrrr!

I wonder if its a timing thing. The iPad seems to delete almost instantly, but, the wat

This is NOT a timing issue ... nor a setting you're missing ... it's LAZY coding by Apple! I feel this breaks the 'this just works' mantra or 'ecosystem'.

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
This used to grind my gears ever since my first WATCH (S2 purchased May 2017).

It remains mind boggling to me that there are hundreds of Apple software engineers walking around at Apple Park with old iMessages and sms texts trapped on their wrist computers after deleting them from their iPhones (or any other iCloud device).

The OCD in me would never allow that. I’m sure (hope?) there is a logical reason for this and it’s not out of laziness, but I’ve never seen an explanation from Apple directly.

The only solace for me, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember reading that messages will auto delete from the watch after a month. Not sure if it’s true; I just checked Messages on my S4 and they match what’s currently on my iPhone. But it still amazes me that iMessage sync remains a missing feature from the WATCH going into year 2020 and an WATCH Series 6.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
This used to grind my gears ever since my first WATCH (S2 purchased May 2017).

It remains mind boggling to me that there are hundreds of Apple software engineers walking around at Apple Park with old iMessages and sms texts trapped on their wrist computers after deleting them from their iPhones (or any other iCloud device).

The OCD in me would never allow that. I’m sure (hope?) there is a logical reason for this and it’s not out of laziness, but I’ve never seen an explanation from Apple directly.

The only solace for me, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember reading that messages will auto delete from the watch after a month. Not sure if it’s true; I just checked Messages on my S4 and they match what’s currently on my iPhone. But it still amazes me that iMessage sync remains a missing feature from the WATCH going into year 2020 and an WATCH Series 6.

Interesting. In a month or so, I will check my Apple Watch 3. I am also wondering if Apple think you should simply not delete items.

I remember talking to Microsoft about an Office 365 Deleted Items issue our users were having. They said, one should not delete items, but, move them to a folder. True story!?!

I just hate deleting items from the watch, because with each delete, you have to press TRASH, too. Makes no sense...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.