Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Whenever I use messages, I keep getting the rainbow pinwheel when I'm in the middle of typing something. Doesn't happen all the time, but happens every few minutes. Whatever I'm typing just stops typing and if I move the mouse, I get the pinwheel for a couple seconds before all the text catches up and things continue as normal.

The computer is a higher end 13 inch MBP that I got last month.

But I used to have a 2015 MBA and the exact. same. thing. kept happening. I figured the computer was just getting old and this issue was a factor in me updating to my current computer. But the problem persists.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

My software is up to date and I use Messages in the Cloud to sync between this computer, my phone, and my iPad.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
No, I haven't tried that, but this is a new computer that wasn't restored from a backup, so I had to sign into this computer about a month ago.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Ok, so it's difficult to make this problem happen.

I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but I was typing a million messages on my laptop. I typed ONE message on my phone and sent it, and this is what immediately happened on my laptop's Activity Monitor (see attachment).

I then disabled Handoff and we'll see if that fixes this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 9.48.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 9.48.55 PM.png
    647.4 KB · Views: 58

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
This is also a screenshot I took of the activity monitor when it happened again without having to first type on my phone. Handoff is still off, so that's not the problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 2.01.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 2.01.12 PM.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.