Messages App (beta) Crashes Constantly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thepopnick, Feb 18, 2012.

1. thepopnick macrumors newbie

I don't know if it's because I have an older Macbook Pro from late 2007 or what, but the newly released Messages App (beta version) crashes every time I open it. I'm running Lion. Anybody else having this problem?

Model: MacBookPro2,1, BootROM MBP21.00A5.B08, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 3 GB, SMC 1.14f5

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Tell Apple this. That's what BETAs are for, after all :)

3. haisdeaks macrumors member

got the exact same problem on both my 2010 macbook pro's running lion. it launches and brings up the last conversation opened then crashes a few moments later. restart doesn't help either :(

4. freediverx macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue with the app crashing continuously after each restart. Couldn't get it to stop until I answered "ignore" after a crash. Started fine after that... :D

Somewhat off topic question:
    Is Messages supposed to receive text messages sent to my cell phone number? Only seems to work if the message is sent to one of my iCloud-associated email addresses.

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

6. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

Yep. Check the Messages menu.

7. haisdeaks macrumors member

Doesn't work for me :(

No, pretty sure it wont sync your SMS messages with the Messages app on your mac.

8. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

It was working fine for me on early 2011 MBP running 10.7.3 until it started crashing a week ago. I did an uninstall from the messages menu and then a reinstall. Has been working again for the past week with no more issues.

9. drewyboy macrumors 65816

As stated earlier no. It is not possible, at least as of right now. If it was, you wouldn't have the problem I had with iPhone + iPad. I was not receiving iMessages on my iPad from my iPhone because my friends were sending it to my number rather than my Apple ID. I started conversations with them from my email to their email and everything has been smooth sailing.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Submit a bug report to apple, and check their developer forums.

I'm running it and its been stable for me.

11. MrBungleBear macrumors newbie

Yep - same here on my MacPro & Lion. It worked fine for a few days then crashed and now won't stay up for long enough for me to be able to uninstall it!! The suggested solution below of hitting ignore has not helped me either. And, when I look for it in /Applications, it's not there - even in the terminal!!

But, it's there int he finder... Very mysterious.

G>