Messages app (beta) now sends iMessages to mobile numbers!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RDowson, Jun 5, 2012.

1. RDowson macrumors 6502

RDowson

I've just noticed that when i send an iMessage to a mobile number, rather than an iCloud associated email address, the conversation is synced across my iPad and the new Messages beta app.

Before this would only work if you sent the message using the 'caller id' as an email address.

The problem with that was if the message failed to send due to a lack of data signal you didn't get the option to resend as an sms.

I know this is hard to explain (the whole 'caller id' thing with iMessage is confusing) but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Has anyone else noticed this?

:D

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Are you saying that the syncing is new? I've always been able to send messages from my computer to a mobile phone number, but you might be right - it seems like now I'm getting more synchronization than I used to.

By the way, they didn't release a new version of Messages, did they? I'm using version 6.1.

3. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

If you have sync issues or suddenly start getting messages sent to your email rather than the messages app, go into the messages beta prefs and disable your account and re-enable it. Saw that on a discussion board and saved me a lot of grief.