Messages app now quits when close window?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by anthonyzp, Sep 24, 2018.

1. anthonyzp macrumors member

Just updated to Mojave. I am a heavy iMessage user using the Messages app on my MacBook.

I like to 'close' my windows for all my apps running and Mail and Messages would still run (black dot indicator below app icon on dock) in the background and when a new message arrived, I'd click Messages app and the app would pop up right away.

Now in Mojave I have noticed when you close the Messages window, the app actually quits so when you go to read a new message, the app opens up first (app icon bounces on dock a few times before opening) which just takes a few seconds rather than instant.

Anyone else noticing this changed behaviour?

2. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

No, not happening for me. Still stays open when I close the window.

3. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

Just noticed, this is happening to me as well.

4. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

It could be based on the machine you have. Maybe if the behaviour is different depending on the amount of RAM.

5. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Yup, the application definitely quits as soon as I close the messages window.
    Maybe they did that because the messages window is the only window left as there is no buddy list anymore now that they've taken away Jabber support from us.

6. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

Same here. Messages stays open.

7. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Interesting observation: it stays open as long as it's the frontmost "running" application.
    Aka: open Messages, then close the window but don't click anywhere else. Messages will continue running and the indicator is still present in the dock. As soon as I click somewhere and activate another application Messages quits instantly.

8. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Nah, I have that checked. It doesn't affect this. That just means that when you open an app next time then it will start fresh rather than opening with the last document/window you had open.

9. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

I have 24 gigs of RAM. It’s happening to me. Don’t think that’s it.

10. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I have 16GB of RAM and it is happening to me too. I notice that it tends to happen after I closed the window, and then moved back and forth between a fullscreen app or another desktop. One workaround for this until the bug is fixed is to right click on the app in the dock and select "Hide"

11. slb macrumors 6502

This is standard behavior for applications that support automatic termination. Presumably, Apple has now enabled support for automatic termination in Messages since you don't need to keep the window open to be notified of new messages.

12. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

Looking at it some more, I don't think it's actually closing. I think the dot underneath is disappearing, but I think the app is still open in the background as before. I'm still getting notifications when I get a message, even though it appears that the app is closed. In previous releases, if the app was completely closed with no dot underneath, I wouldn't get any notifications for incoming messages, so I think it's a bug in Mojave that the dot is disappearing.

13. anthonyzp, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

anthonyzp thread starter macrumors member

Appears to be a bug given more users are reporting this behaviour?

I still receive Messages when the app is closed. All of the behaviour reported above is the same for me. Right now I am just 'Hiding' the app to keep it running whilst I work in other apps so when new messages come through, I can click Messages and app is displayed right away (like how it behaved in High Sierra and older). If I don't do this, then yes, after a short while after closing the window, the app quits and then when a new message comes through, I have to wait a few seconds for the app to open. (bouncing app icon on Dock etc)

14. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

I don't think that's it since the behaviour is different for different people. My Messages.app definitely doesn't close when I leave it. I can check in Activity Monitor to see that it stays running and Message's PID is one of the lower ones so it has not been stopped for a while.

15. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

Likewise stays open... MacBook Pro 2017 15" Actually, it does close if i click anywhere else on Desktop... Hmmmmm!?

16. ledzep1 macrumors member

Don't use the imessages app but everything else I close with red cross, the dot stays under the app, apart from preferences and few others.

One thing I have noticed, is when I close Safari with red cross and then reopen it, it refreshes back to my homepage losing my previous website. Has this always been the case?

17. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

For Safari go into the first preferences page (General) and the very first drop-down says "Safari opens with" and you can choose "A new window" or "All windows from last session". You're after that last option.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    It's not closing when you click the desktop is it? When you do that you are just switching to Finder. To know for sure just open Activity Monitor and find Messages in there, then you'll be able to see if it really is opened or closed.

18. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Alright, it looks like it doesn't actually close but the dot disappears from underneath the dock icon. As soon as I click the Messages icon the window pops up immediately without a single bounce. However, if I actually go ahead and quit the application properly it bounces once before the messages window appears.

Looks like a bug to me.

19. slb macrumors 6502

With automatic termination, the system handles process termination. If an app is quit, the process can be silently kept alive so that when the app is re-opened, it relaunches instantly. If system resources are strained, the process can be killed.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    That's the standard behavior for apps that support automatic termination.

20. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Does System Preferences support automatic termination? Because if so it behaves completely different: when I close the window the application quits completely.

21. slb macrumors 6502

Some apps explicitly terminate when their last remaining window is closed via the -applicationShouldTerminateAfterLastWindowClosed: delegate method.

22. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Exactly. And Messages is not terminating. Instead, the indicator simply disappears but the application continues to run in the background nevertheless. Thus, it behaves completely irrational and unlike every other application I've encountered.

23. MacsAndBananas macrumors newbie

I've registered just to comment on this thread. It appears the behaviour of Messages has changed from HS > Mojave and I think it is intentional.

In HS Messages.app would work like most other apps - pressing the red cross will close the window but the app will remain open with indicator dot. Message notifications will still appear and the total unread messages would be shown on the app icon. Explicitly quitting Messages.app (e.g. CMD + Q) will quit the app entirely- no new message notifications will show, app icon does not display unread messages. The app would update with new messages upon next launch.

In Mojave, as observed, pressing the red cross will close the window but the indicator dot remains present until Messages.app is no longer the foreground app - i.e. clicking anywhere on the screen will result in the app closing, indicator dot disappearing, BUT the unread messages app icon count remains. In fact, even if you explicitly quit Messages.app the unread messages app icon remains and new message notifications come display.

I don't think this is a bug - it feels like a effort for the macOS Messages app to match the behaviour to the iOS counterpart. E.g., on iOS one can 'quit' the app by swiping up on the app switcher yet message notifications still come through and the app icon is updated. Now it means the Messages app does not need to be 'running' for new messages to come through - I can finally remove Messages from my (start hidden) login items to avoid me missing new messages.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I notice Calendar.app has a similar behaviour once the window is closed - the indicator dot disappears once its no longer in the foreground.

24. AnotherSoftwareEngineer macrumors newbie

It doesn't terminate, but the indicator in the dock disappears once I switch to another workspace.