Messages app: Orientation problems help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thor774, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Thor774 macrumors regular

Thor774

I have a new iPhone 6+ 128Gb and have been using it for a week.

I never restore from backup with a new phone so I upgraded iOS, reseted it to factory defaults and started from scratch. After installing all my apps again and setting the phone up I have noticed that the Messages app has an orientation problem. It just happens when using the NEW MESSAGE button:

1. Hold your iPhone in portrait orientation and open the Messages app. Be sure to check that the orientation lock is not enabled on control center.
    2. Tap the NEW MESSAGE button
    3. When the new message screen shows rotate the iPhone to landscape mode.

Mine does not rotate the screen. The screen continues locked on portrait.
    This DOES NOT happen when I am answering to an already started Messages conversation. In this case the iPhone behaves as expected and the screen rotates normally.

Has anyone seen this? Does a settings reset help? I really don't want to reset anything if I can avoid it, but maybe I am going to have to.

Thanks for any help.

2. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

Well I've never tried that before but mine behaves the same, exactly as you've described. Has yours ever behaved differently?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never noticed this before, but mine does the same thing. I don't typically use my 6+ in landscape mode while typing, nor do I start conversations with new contacts very often so this bug doesn't really bother me.

4. businezguy macrumors 6502

I get the same problem. It seems to be a bug which is amazing this late in IOS 8. It looks like focusing on iOS performance in 9 is the best thing for Apple to do.

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

6. Thor774 thread starter macrumors regular

Thor774

I upgraded from an iPhone 5 and still have that phone. This simple task works perfectly fine on that device. My iPad 2 with iOS 8 does not have this problem either.

Yes amazing that this bug has slipped trough QC and that it still is not fixed at this stage. At least I have confirmed that it is not only my phone that is misbehaving.

I probably will back it up to iTunes and run a complete reset to see if it helps. If it still behaves like this after the reset I will just restore again from the backup. I am not reinstalling everything if it is not going to fix it.

What I am going to do and I recommend you all to also do it is report this to Apple. It is the only way that this is going to be fixed. The bug feedback form is here and this should not take much time. Feel free to just copy/paste the info provided in the first post of this thread. It is very easy to reproduce the problem.

https://bugreport.apple.com/
    and here
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I use Messenger in landscape almost all the time. I type much faster in that orientation than in portrait and its the only way to have access to all the editing keys on the original iOS keyboard.