Messages App won't stay open

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slcflier, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Slcflier macrumors newbie

So this is a minor annoyance but it is sending my OCD over the edge.

I don't have any apps saved in my dock. I removed all of them on purpose so that only open apps appear there and I can see quickly what is running. Usually, when I am temporarily done using an app, I will just click the red 'x' in the upper left hand corner but the app will stay "open" in the dock.

For whatever reason, the Messages app completely closes itself after a few seconds. I know it's not a big deal but it's annoying the ever-loving **** out of me. Any suggestions?

Brand new Macbook Pro 13" restored from a 2009 Macbook Pro 13" that was doing the same thing. I realized the glitch carried over from the restore.

Thanks y'all!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Write an automator script for it. Or minimize it instead of closing it.

Or change your ways, that's one very weird way of using the dock.

3. Slcflier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. Not too familiar with Automator but I can do some research.

I don't think it's that weird. I find the traditional way of using the dock to be messy and redundant. With Yosemite, there are four ways of opening apps that I can think of: the Applications folder, the dock (for apps that are saved down there), Launchpad, and my personal favorite, the new Finder. I've repurposed the dock for something useful rather than redundant; to see what I have open.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Pressing cmd-space and starting to type messages would open it quite fast as well.

You could probably assign a keystroke to that automator script so that it does all that for you.

5. Slcflier thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the cmd-space is how I open everything now. Love it.