Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingCapt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
On a new MacBook Pro, I have just loaded the latest version of OS X 10.10.3 (released Apr. 16). Now, when I click on the Messages icon, the computer hangs, with the colour pinwheel spinning. Nothing is selectable with the mouse or keyboard. I can only shut it down by holding the Power button for several seconds. Upon reboot, if I click the Messages icon, the computer hang again. Can anyone help with a remedy?
Messages works fine in Safe Mode.

Last edited:

TrowaNY

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Make sure the date/time and time zone options are set to automatic under the Date and Time system preferences. That has been an listed as a fix.

FlyingCapt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Thanks for your reply, TrowaNY.
The date/time and time zone options are set to Automatic in the System Preferences. The computer lock-up problem persists once I try to access Messages.
It is interesting that Messages works in the Safe Mode. I wonder what programs/files that are loaded in the regular boot-up mode might be interfering with Messages.

FlyingCapt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Found my problem with Messages causing the computer to lock up. I am running McAfee All Access and the Application Protection option in the Internet Security Preferences was causing the problem. I had to add the Messages.app to the Exclusions list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.