Messages causes OS X to hang

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by FlyingCapt, Apr 20, 2015.

1. FlyingCapt, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

FlyingCapt macrumors newbie

On a new MacBook Pro, I have just loaded the latest version of OS X 10.10.3 (released Apr. 16). Now, when I click on the Messages icon, the computer hangs, with the colour pinwheel spinning. Nothing is selectable with the mouse or keyboard. I can only shut it down by holding the Power button for several seconds. Upon reboot, if I click the Messages icon, the computer hang again. Can anyone help with a remedy?
    Messages works fine in Safe Mode.

2. TrowaNY macrumors newbie

Make sure the date/time and time zone options are set to automatic under the Date and Time system preferences. That has been an listed as a fix.

3. FlyingCapt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, TrowaNY.
    The date/time and time zone options are set to Automatic in the System Preferences. The computer lock-up problem persists once I try to access Messages.
    It is interesting that Messages works in the Safe Mode. I wonder what programs/files that are loaded in the regular boot-up mode might be interfering with Messages.

4. FlyingCapt thread starter macrumors newbie

Found my problem with Messages causing the computer to lock up. I am running McAfee All Access and the Application Protection option in the Internet Security Preferences was causing the problem. I had to add the Messages.app to the Exclusions list.

5. TrowaNY, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

TrowaNY macrumors newbie

Good news. I can't find a fix for mine not working.