Messages - chats randomly going to phone or computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samiwas, Nov 24, 2013.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

My wife and I use what was iChat a lot. She upgraded her laptop to Mavericks, while I have not yet. Now, on her new "messages" app, whenever she sends me a message, there is no telling if it will go to my phone or to my laptop. It seems extremely random.

Is there some way to tell messages to ONLY send to my laptop? Or is this just a new feature where it's sure it knows what you really want?

2. netslacker macrumors 6502

Do you both have iPhones and Macs? Then.. consolidate to a single protocol. Use only iMessage by Apple. It sounds as though you're trying to bounce through multiple protocols (iMessage/Jabber/etc) and make them behave as though they were one. If you both use Messages on your Mac and iMessage on your iPhone then you'll be set. Apple is REALLY good at delivering iMessages to both devices and they make it very seamless and simple. But you do need to know to use iMessage from the Messages app on the mac and not Jabber or some other protocol.

3. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

We use only messages on the phone, and iChat/Messages on the mac. She has Messages because she has upgraded. I still have iChat because I have not upgraded yet (couldn't while in the middle of a project).