Messages Coming to Phone Before Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spikesglaring, May 12, 2015.

1. spikesglaring macrumors member

Hey all,

I've had my watch for one week to the day and have run across a problem the past two days. For the first few days I had the watch, the messages sync worked perfectly. I would get a tap on my wrist before my phone would go off for any text or iMessage. Over the week, I accidentally disconnected the bluetooth and had to power off the watch & iPhone to get them reconnected. Since then, my phone has been lighting up about 10 seconds before my watch alerts me to a text.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, any ideas on how to get things back to where my watch is alerting me first?

I should note that I'm mirroring Messages settings from the phone. Also, any e-mails or other app alerts are going off on my watch and not my phone. It's just Messages that seem to be lagging.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Funny thing is what you are describing as working the way you wanted it is actually NOT how it's supposed to work.

It's not supposed to go to 2 places. If your phone is active it goes to the phone. If your phone is locked it goes to the watch (unless your watch is not on your wrist. In that case it goes to the phone).

3. spikesglaring thread starter macrumors member

Right. I have went through the App Specific password setup through iCloud to try to reset things, but that didn't fix the problem either.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not sure I follow,

You want to receive notifications on your phone and watch at the same time?

5. spikesglaring thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, no. I just want them to come through to the watch and not set off an alert on the phone.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Ok 2 things here:

- The watch has to be making contact with your skin. If you are not wearing your watch notifications always go to the phone.
    - If you are wearing your watch and lock your phone there is this small window where the phone's screen is off but not considered "locked" yet. If anything arrives in that window it will notify the phone and not your watch or sometimes neither.

7. spikesglaring thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately neither is an issue. The watch is snug on my skin and messages are still coming to it about 10 seconds after they hit the phone. Also, I can not have touched the phone for some time and the messages alert is still coming to the phone first.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So odd. It should never show up in 2 places at once. Both devices using same iCloud account right?

9. spikesglaring thread starter macrumors member

Correct. I find it odd that accidentally turning off bluetooth on my phone for less than 10 seconds caused this issue.

And I really don't want to do a factory reset and lose any calibration data.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Not sure about the watch/iphone relationship (still waiting for my watch) but having an iphone/mac/ipad this is common place, messages always show up on all devices and sync, so when it's read on one for example, it shows read on all.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yeah, I'm aware of the Mac OS > iPhone one. annoys the hell out of me hearing the 2 beep at the same time but the iPhone > watch is not supposed to behave in that manner.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

The question I have about this is, understanding the watch uses both Bluethooth and WIFI, which one is being used and when. Presumably WIFI for messaging, since it utilizes known WIFI connections, if that is indeed the case it would seem to use the same technology as all the others. Just speculation of course. :)

13. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

this has happened to me a couple of times, and I was able to fix it. The first thing to try is to go to settings -> notifications -> messages, and turn it off and back on (this is on your iPhone, and the actual settings, not the apple watch app)..if that doesn't work, you will have to unpair the watch, and re-pair from backup. Takes about 15 minutes. Hope you get it working!

14. spikesglaring thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Bizzy. I've tried turning messages on and off to no avail. I was hoping to avoid unpairing the watch because that apparently deletes your calibration data, but I may have to suck it up and do it anyway.

15. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

Didn't think about that..I have been running inside on a treadmill, so I don't even think anything has been calibrated for me.

As far as trying to turn messages on and off, you are doing this under notifications and then turning off "Allow Notifications" correct? Not just turning off actual iMessages?

16. spikesglaring thread starter macrumors member

Actually, no, I had tried just turning iMessages off and back on. This actually solved my problem without having to pair the device again. Thanks a ton!