Messages disappearing from my Inbox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hoverstop, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hoverstop macrumors newbie

I have just made the switch to iMac from pc, and I am having a problem with Mail. I receive email messages in my Inbox. I read them, then turn off Mail to do something else. When I start Mail again, all the messages have disappeared from my Inbox. Sent messages are still in the Sent box. What's happening, and how can I stop read messages disappearing? Help!!

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Check your Mail preferences under Accounts>Mailbox Behaviors and Advanced.

3. Hoverstop thread starter macrumors newbie

I have looked at these - and there is nothing checked or unchecked that would seem to me to be causing this to happen. Is there anything there which might not be obvious to a beginner?

4. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Is it an IMAP or POP account? Are you accessing it from other computers/devices or just the one?

Easier to help with more info. :)

5. Hoverstop thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an IMAP account; the incoming mail server is imap.mail.yahoo.com. Since the messages started disappearing, I have also been accessing them on via Outlook on my old pc.

6. jtara macrumors 65816

Do they also disappear in Outlook?

7. Hoverstop thread starter macrumors newbie

No; Outlook on my pc works fine.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try this:
    • Go to Mail menu
    • Scroll down and select Preferences...
    • Go to the Accounts tab
    • Go to the Advanced tab
    • From the Keep copies of messages for offline viewing: drop down list, select All messages and their attachments

9. samh macrumors 6502

Is your PC Outlook set up as IMAP or POP? Because it sounds like you're accessing it through IMAP on your Mac (which gives you a more-or-less 'live' look at what's on the server) and through POP on your PC (which relies on your mailbox being stored on the PC).

By default, most POP clients delete messages from the server after transferring them to your local mailbox, ergo an IMAP client on the same account will see the inbox 'automatically' delete mail.