Messages from complete strangers send to my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KristinK321, Oct 11, 2010.

1. KristinK321 macrumors newbie

Hello all-
    I am totally new to this and only found out about this website from someone who is way more technologically smarter than me. So my question/problem is:

My AOL Instant Messenger application on my iPhone gets instant messages from complete strangers, then I see their conversation, the two people talking, I'm never involved. This all pops up on the main screen. If I follow directions, "slide to view" the messages are never there. I had 37 messages waiting today, only there really weren't any there. It's from the same people and it's not a proximity thing, I could be at home or work or out and my phone gets it. Any clue what is going on and how to stop it?

A similar thing happens with my Facebook application. I'll get a pop up notification that someone posted about a picture of me, or sent me a message or a comment. Also all from complete strangers and when I go to open it in the app, it's never there. My profile is pretty darn private, so they aren't looking at all my stuff and sending me these things. Any clue what's happening and how to stop it?

My iPhone is a 2g, jail broken, 3. something firmware. I know three people that have the exact same type of phone and it doesn't happen to them, only me. Thanks for ANY insight to my issues!!! :D:D

2. gks macrumors 6502

It's because of the jailbreak.

Someone else can probably chime in on the exact reason, but the jailbreak process breaks push notifications and you can in fact receive messages that should be going to someone else.

3. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Specifically, phones that had to have the push service enabled with a hack.

4. jasonmac31 macrumors newbie

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its because your iphone 2G is hactivated and there's probably a pushfix package installed thru cydia so your push notifications and youtube app will function. Your iphone along with many others with hactivated iphones share the same push authentication certificate and a bunch of them get the same thing as you. But when an iphone is activated officially the token is unique to the combination of device and application so you dont get any of that same push send to many different iphones thruout the world possibly. Also the same app, on the same iTunes account, on a different device gets a different token. That's how Apples push servers can control which devices the notifications get sent to.