Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Messages app in iOS 10 has been entirely overhauled, adding a slew of new capabilities that make it more fun to keep in touch with friends and family. One of the more personal touches added to Messages is a new handwriting feature, which allows users to send handwritten messages to their loved ones.

Using the handwriting feature is simple, but it's also a bit hidden on the iPhone, because the button to activate it won't show up unless you're in landscape mode. Here's how to do it:
  1. On an iPhone, turn it to landscape mode. On the iPad, you can use handwriting in landscape or portrait mode.

handwrittennote-800x450.jpg
  2. Tap the handwriting squiggle to the right of the return key on the iPhone or to the right of the number key on the iPad. On the iPhone 6 and 6s, the handwriting screen will pop up automatically.
  3. Use a finger to write whatever you would like to say on the screen. Once you reach the end of the screen, press the arrow if you would like to keep writing. Go back to the beginning by using a two finger swipe.

handwrittenote2-800x450.jpg
  4. Alternatively, tap one of the pre-written options below, which include phrases like "thank you," "happy birthday," and "I'm sorry."
  5. When finished, tap "Done" to return to the standard keyboard. Your handwritten message will be available as an image to send in the message compose box.

handwrittennote3-800x450.jpg
After you send your handwritten message to someone, it will display as a neat little animation that lets the person on the other end watch as you write each letter. Handwritten messages need to be viewed within the Messages app and notifications for them will simply read "Handwritten Message."

handwrittenmessagenotification.jpg

Message length is limited to two screens on the iPhone or iPad, so the handwriting feature is primarily designed for short phrases meant to complement longer text messages, but it's a simple addition that adds a sweet personal touch to your conversations. As a bonus, it can also be used to send little drawings, much like Digital Touch.

Article Link: Messages in iOS 10: How to Send Handwritten Notes

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Two things:

- This is neat, but seems redundant with Digital Touch drawings.

- And Digital Touch is a dumb name, since everything is done on a digital touchscreen.

- Still pretty neat. Didn't know this was a thing!

Aiwaz418

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Burbank, CA

The Messages app in iOS 10 has been entirely overhauled, adding a slew of new capabilities that make it more fun to keep in touch with friends and family. One of the more personal touches added to Messages is a new handwriting feature, which allows users to send handwritten messages to their loved ones.

Using the handwriting feature is simple, but it's also a bit hidden on the iPhone, because the button to activate it won't show up unless you're in landscape mode. Here's how to do it:

[*]On an iPhone, turn it to landscape mode. On the iPad, you can use handwriting in landscape or portrait mode.

handwrittennote-800x450.jpg

[*]Tap the handwriting squiggle to the right of the return key on the iPhone or to the right of the number key on the iPad. On the iPhone 6 and 6s, the handwriting screen will pop up automatically.
[*]Use a finger to write whatever you would like to say on the screen. Once you reach the end of the screen, press the arrow if you would like to keep writing. Go back to the beginning by using a two finger swipe.

handwrittenote2-800x450.jpg

[*]Alternatively, tap one of the pre-written options below, which include phrases like "thank you," "happy birthday," and "I'm sorry."
When finished, tap "Done" to return to the standard keyboard. Your handwritten message will be available as an image to send in the message compose box.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Messages in iOS 10: How to Send Handwritten Notes
Pops right up and works just fine on the 5S as well.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
its very nice for personal notes. I am trying to figure out a business/professional use for this feature. anyone have ideas?

Drawing a quick diagram/flow chart, perhaps? Although that may prove to be more tedious than many would like.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I had completely forgotten about this feature and accidentally discovered it last night while playing around in iMessages a bunch and installing apps. It's kind of weird that there are two different drawing interfaces. Or three if you include the markup capability. But the watch drawing interface just seems kinda awkward for some reason. I hope they're able to tighten it up and make it feel more cohesive going forward. IDK why all drawing can't be done from one view where you could select or swipe between drawing types.

It's also weird that "Digital Touch" drawings animate when you send them, but handwritten ones don't animate. Both animate for the receiver, but you can't preview your own handwritten animation drawing. Seems inconsistent.

Random bug: if you're in the iMessage store and a message comes in and you tap it, then you shake your phone to undo after you write something, the undo box is hidden mostly under the current UI view.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
For all the complaints about how all the messaging features have just bloated things, they've kinda dramatically changed how I communicate with people. It's more fun and engaging and man if we are going to restrict our communication to texting, we should be trying to make it as engaging as possible.
Totally agree. I didn't know about this feature. Interoperability between watch and phone is really cool, too. WatchOS scribble messaging is a beautiful thing. Love these new features, all over.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I just don't get it and find it a pointless feature.. was kinda fun for a few mins but that was about it.. its just easier to type the message as normal..

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Hope they update Swiftkey soon -- the handwriting button isn't there so although you can use it once, as soon as you switch back to keyboard you kiss goodbye to it.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I hope this stuff gets integrated in the 3rd party keyboards. As of now you can't do this or have the text to emoji translation in Swiftkey.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
I just don't get it and find it a pointless feature.. was kinda fun for a few mins but that was about it.. its just easier to type the message as normal..

If, for example, someone does something nice for you, you can hand write a "thank you" message, and it's a small gesture to show that you're quite thankful for what they've done.
[doublepost=1474159909][/doublepost]My parents can't see this option on their 5Ss updated to iOS 10. Anyone have any idea why? They don't get the squiggly button or an automatic switch over to it in either orientation.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
If, for example, someone does something nice for you, you can hand write a "thank you" message, and it's a small gesture to show that you're quite thankful for what they've done.
[doublepost=1474159909][/doublepost]My parents can't see this option on their 5Ss updated to iOS 10. Anyone have any idea why? They don't get the squiggly button or an automatic switch over to it in either orientation.
it's for 6 plus and up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.