Messages lost forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by southern1986, Aug 12, 2015.

1. southern1986 macrumors newbie

Good Morning,

I have a real quick question. I deleted a message thread on my phone about 10 months ago. My fear is that it is permanently deleted. Since then, my phone has backed up to iCloud several times. I have no iTunes backups when I go into iTunes and look under preferences and then devices. My latest iCloud backup was yesterday. On top of all of that, I switched phone carriers and have a brand new iPhone. Again, this was a while ago when these were deleted from my Apple ID. Are they stored somewhere else? Or gone forever? Thanks in advance.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sorry to say that without a local backup with those messages, they might be gone forever.

If you're signed in to iCloud on a mac or other device (iPad?), the messages MIGHT still be there.

Otherwise, your only recourse would be to contact Apple and see if there's something they can do, but I doubt they'll be able to do much, specially now that privacy has been much more of a focus and Apple as a result has been a lot more hands-off about delving into people's data.

3. southern1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say signed into iCloud on a Mac, what do you mean? I can go to iCloud.com but where would they be stored there?

4. stcasey macrumors newbie

stcasey

Signed into iCloud, as in under the iCloud settings. On a Mac: Settings>iCloud. If you are signed in with the Same Apple ID (same email address as on the iPhone), then you can search 'Messages' and see if you get a hit on the message(s) that you are trying to find. Also, the OS on the Mac has to be a recent version that supports iCloud and iMessage would also need to be turned on in the Mac. Messages>Preferences>Accounts (once again, with the same Apple ID that is being used on the iPhone).

5. southern1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

In this case, they were not iMessages. This particular thread was SMS. I have never seen an option for messages in iCloud on the MacBook.

6. techspin macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid you're out of luck if you have no archived backups AND a new phone. If you're looking for timestamps for when the messages were sent, you may try contacting your previous carrier.

7. southern1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you don't think there would be any files on the Mac or any previous iCloud back ups that contain the message thread?

8. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Try searching in spotlight if you know what you're looking for. I know people having issues with messages that have been deleted still being there. Might be worth a shot. Only other option since you don't have a local backup is if you use iMessage on a mac or ipad and also enabled sms. Then the messages will be on those devices even if you delete them from your iphone.

9. southern1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never used iMessage on the Mac or iPad. I've never sent messages from any other device besides my phone, which I turned in for a newer iPhone with a different carrier.

10. techspin macrumors 6502a

You can try data recovery software on your mac.

11. southern1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

In your honest opinion, do you think that it would still be a long shot based on the information provided in previous posts?

12. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Highly doubtful you can get it back. You said it was 10 months ago. That's a long time to wait to try and get it back. Newer backups probably would have just overwritten it a long long time ago and forever gone.

For the future, turn on the texting on your Mac in iMessage (since Yosemite and iOS 8 there is a thing called Continuity that allows normal texts and phone called to be made from your phone off the Mac or even iPad.) So that if you do ever delete a conversation on your phone you could still at least have it on your computer.

13. southern1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lagwagon, I was thinking the same thing. 10 months is awful long time ago. I know my older iPhone did at least 50 backups since then and now I'm operating on a new iPhone 6 with a different carrier. As mentioned, my iTunes account on my MacBook has absolutely no backups listed under devices. I have never texted from the MacBook or iPad in my life.

14. techspin macrumors 6502a

Probably unlikely. If you're desperate you can try a service like DriveSavers, especially if you have your old phone.

15. southern1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have my old phone anymore. With a brand new phone wouldn't I have a completely clean hard drive? There wouldn't be anything to pull off the new hard drive right?