Messages not Deleting Correctly in 4.2.1 on Google Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sclough, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sclough macrumors regular

I just wanted to see if I'm the only one having this problem. This worked fine for me before, but is now not working correctly after the update to 4.2.1. I can't get the account setup to stay where deleted messages are tagged "deleted messages" rather than actually being moved to trash. I keep changing it in settings and it reverts back and actually moves it to trash. This is a big problem for me because Mac mail maps "deleted messages" to trash and I prefer that over gmail's trash because it doesn't get deleted until I actually clean it out. I don't remember having this problem on 4.1.

Is anybody else seeing the same problem or, better yet, found a solution?

2. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

In case anyone else runs into this problem, I found a fix. First turn off auto sync of email in iTunes. Then I deleted the email accounts and re-added them as regular email accounts. I choose "other" and then set them up as IMAP accounts. Now everything is working correctly. I'm not sure if this will work with an actual gmail.com address, but in my case I'm using Google apps accounts and it worked just fine.