Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help, I haven't seen anyone else have this problem so I don't know what is going on, but whenever I open messages I just get stuck with a blank box, and this never goes away and messages never opens. So does anyone know what to do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 16.36.37.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 16.36.37.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 97

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Put anything you absolutely can't afford to lose in Dropbox (just in case) and boot from the recovery partition (Command-R). Format, reinstall and restore from the TM backup. If you're running Windows bootcamp that's a little trickier.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Put anything you absolutely can't afford to lose in Dropbox (just in case) and boot from the recovery partition (Command-R). Format, reinstall and restore from the TM backup. If you're running Windows bootcamp that's a little trickier.

Do I need to make some installable drive thing?

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Nope. It's all built in. You will need a working (hopefully fast) internet connection as the reinstaller will download Mavericks ~3.5GB.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It's stable 99% of the time haha, what will happen if it disconnects? Will it pick up from where it stops when it connects again. Also do I need to wipe anything or literally like turn it on and press command r?

----------

When it installs and stuff and turns back on, what is the first step to restore things? Are all my apps in my time machine backups?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
There is a USB installer for Mavericks, it doesn't work on the late 2013 MBP's but will work on yours.

So go to the app store, download the Mavericks installer .dmg (you may already have it). The USB installer will also reinstall the recovery partition and IMO is the best way to upgrade. You will need an 8GB or larger USB flash.

After a time machine restore everything should be as it was, sometimes Adobe software might need re-activation but that's about it.

This should help.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/1...otable-os-x-10-9-mavericks-usb-install-drive/

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
There is a USB installer for Mavericks, it doesn't work on the late 2013 MBP's but will work on yours.

So go to the app store, download the Mavericks installer .dmg (you may already have it). The USB installer will also reinstall the recovery partition and IMO is the best way to upgrade. You will need an 8GB or larger USB flash.

After a time machine restore everything should be as it was, sometimes Adobe software might need re-activation but that's about it.

This should help.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/1...otable-os-x-10-9-mavericks-usb-install-drive/

Is this instead of doing the Command+R thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.