Messages opens Facetime when connecting Video chat

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by floydts, Sep 8, 2012.

1. floydts macrumors newbie

I am trying to use Messages on my iMac (Mountain Lion OS). When friend try to use Messages on their computer to call my Messages (ichat) account, it automatically opens a Facetime connection on both computers. Need to use Messages so we can share files.

What is going on here? Thanks for replies.

2. floydts thread starter macrumors newbie

No one else has this problem? Am I imagining this? Or is this not the right place to address this issue? Just wondering.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

Your friend is calling you? This means it's through FaceTime. There's no need to 'call' before sending files.

4. floydts thread starter macrumors newbie

Cannot initiate iMessages session - Facetime opens

The situation is When my friend tries to contact me using iMessages, Facetime session opens up. We don't want to use FaceTime.

We cleared all the ichat, messages, FaceTime prefs from library and restarted messages.

Made sure apple id user is correct on friend's computer. Account enabled.

We want to be able to share screen and share files like in the old days with ichat. We cannot.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Maybe this quote from the messages documentation will help.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, need to be using AIM or Jabber for that, and while your AppleID used to set up as an AIM account, with the introduction of iMessages that changed. Try setting it up as an AIM account, and just using your AppleID information.

jW