Messages - setting my name

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toronado455, Feb 21, 2014.

1. toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

How do you configure the name that is displayed in the text chat window? I'm using Show Boxes, Show Name. My name is displayed as my machine name on my side, but the other person just sees it as blank.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

If you're using an iMessage account, the sender doesn't have much control (you can't create a nickname/alias, in other words). If you and the recipient are using another account type that allows for a nickname (jabber, AIM, Google, or Yahoo) , then your nickname may be displayed.

On the recipient's end, the Messages app searches the Contacts app for a contact card that matches the incoming sender's account name/alias. If there is no match, the recipient sees the account name/alternate account name of the sender. If there is a match in Contacts (a contact card with an email address, AIM name, phone #, etc. that matches the incoming message), then the first and last name on that contact will be displayed.

If a recipient sees an account name/alternate account name as the sender, it's a hint to add that account name to their Contacts, either as a new contact card, or added to an existing contact card. They can do that directly from the Messages app.

In iMessage, the sender does get to choose what account name/alternate account name they use when starting new conversations. You'll find that in OS X Messages > Preferences > Accounts > iMessage account > Settings: Start new conversations from. In iOS Messages go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive: Start new conversations from. The choices are limited to iPhone phone #, Apple ID, and Apple ID alternate email addresses.