messages take up so much space

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by flimzy, Feb 18, 2014.

1. flimzy macrumors regular

Ok so i have a 16 gb iphone and i want to fit 7 gb of music on there. I have 5 gb of photos and 4.9 gb of messages! i am going to remove all the photos, but whenever i delete my messages they come back. I have some conversations with my friends that id like to keep, but other than that i want to delete everything else and I'm positive it will free up a lot of space. how do i do this properly?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

How are you currently deleting them and how are they coming back?

3. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

i swipe the messages to delete them

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You have 4.9Gb of messages?

Wow! Do you send/receive a lot of pics or something?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

And then you come back into the app and the same conversations/messages are there again? That in itself seems like a problem, beyond having a lot of space taken up by messages. Have you tried restarting the phone and then deleting the conversations to see if the deletion would work properly and actually stick?

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Maybe he needs to delete his messages and then sync with iTunes to recover the space?

Personally, I just use iCleaner (jailbreak tweak) to take care of this.

7. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes and it doesn't delete! i don't know what to do

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I wonder if something like PhoneClean from http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/ might be able to also help out with the large amount of space that Messages take up.

----------

Not quite sure there. That alone certainly part (and perhaps a large part) of the whole issue it would seem.

9. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

possibly. i have a lot of convos.

----------

sorry for the double post. Is there anyway i can sync to iTunes to specify what i want to delete? or are there any safe apps i can use to help pick out my messages. its just frustrating because i can't add my songs on my phone.