Messages taking up 2GB

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by james948, Jul 29, 2013.

1. james948 macrumors 6502

Messages are taking up 2GB. I want to delete them from my phone but I'd like to back them up. Easy enough but I want to back them up on my mac in a way I can search them later on.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

I need to get them off the phone and then import them into an app. Don't know what app though. Any ideas?

2. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I’ve had two I think. I don’t even remember what they’ve been called to be honest, they were that bad and I’d keep my fingers off from them as they installed weird things on my computer. One of them started with an S. Something like “Symbian", but obviously that’s not the name.

Else I think you could try and back them up yourself, they’re located something in one of the iTunes folders (they are backed up with iTunes, even though iTunes doesn’t tell anything about this, same with the iMessages).

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Noticed mine was upto 1.6GB the other day. Said screw it, and just deleted all my convo threads.

The search for old messages was always wonky and didn't work anyway, and I'd never be able to scroll back through some of them.

You should also remove from Spotlight indexing to free up the most.

4. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good call.

But I have no problem backing them up and getting them off the phone. I want to be able to look them up too. I often have to go back to find a phone number or a picture or an address. It's just useful I think.