Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Oh, I see. I don't think apple will release anything this long after they fixed the bug...

Have you tried backing it up to iCloud, wipe the phone (settings, general, reset, erase all files and settings) and then restore it from the iCloud backup? People report it works, although I haven't tried it myself.

Even if it doesn't work, all you've lost is time. Try it before going to bed and let it re-download all apps overnight.

Yeah I tried that. The "wasted space" moves with the back up because it's still labeled as message data which is saved in the cloud.

If Apple gave access to separate cloud data then I could easily fix it myself. That would be nice regardless.

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I followed the advice from several on here in several threads. Restored the iPad Air as new. My 6 gig "other" is now 900 meg

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
This isn't 20 questions. Just tell him how to do it.

As I said, I'm afraid I can't link to the threads myself, but do a search on this forum for iBackupBot and list the threads, or simply search for the same search word, posts by me. It's really easy to find. And to be honest, if someone can't find it by doing this, they probably won't be able to solve the problem even with a direct link to a step by step solution...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I guess that's it. I just wish there was an easier way to delete the media and keep the messages.

find the video or pictures, hold w/ you finger and then select more, then checkmark all you want to delete from that msg group and then delete it w/ the trashcan at the bottom right.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
cant you delete all messages and then backup? wouldnt that reset the state of the storage in the backup?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This isn't 20 questions. Just tell him how to do it.

I said it just a couple post up. Ibackupbot, delete conversations, save, restore to that back up.

Or restore as new and don't use a back up.

I've read a person was unable to restore to using the ibackupbot method once. But the restoring as new is an absolute sure fire way of getting rid of the messages and any issues caused by that iOS 6 bug.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I've read a person was unable to restore to using the ibackupbot method once.
I wasn't using it for this purpose. In fact, I was using it for just the opposite. I was trying to restore my brand new 5s, mostly as new, with nothing but my text messages and text message attachments restored. All of my attempts failed with an error message saying something about the backup being corrupt. It seems like something that iBackupbot was doing was breaking the checksums of the backup file, rendering it invalid. That was with an older version, though. A new version was just released a few days ago, so maybe some iOS 7.x issues were fixed?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
As I said, I'm afraid I can't link to the threads myself, but do a search on this forum for iBackupBot and list the threads, or simply search for the same search word, posts by me. It's really easy to find. And to be honest, if someone can't find it by doing this, they probably won't be able to solve the problem even with a direct link to a step by step solution...

I took your (and some others') good advice and performed this surgery yesterday to get rid of over 2 GB of fluff. It looks like my lowest number is going to be 30 MB and I sent myself some pictures and confirmed the number goes back down after they are deleted. I'll give it a week or so to let it build up and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.