Messaging app, entering a new number changed

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Will22, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Has the messaging app changed the way you enter a phone number when starting a new text? Now when you go to enter the phone number to send the text to it gives you a dial pad like you get when your making a call. Before now I'm sure it you entered the number by using a number row across the top to the text letters.

I use android, BB, windows and I have not long now come back to iOS after getting an iPhone 6 so maybe I'm getting mixed up but I every time I use my windows phone and I'm texting a new number I think how handy it is to have the number pad come up as a dial pad.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Still get the regular keyboard here. What's the flow that you follow to enter a new number to message (in case there's something related to that)?

3. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

All I do is tap the little pen thingy in the box top right where cancel is in this screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you using any third party keyboards?

Is your iMessage enabled (in case that might play a role)?

Have you tried tapping on that "ABC" button on the bottom left of that screenshot?

5. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

No third party keyboards, no iMessage and I have never tried hitting the ABC Also when I add the phone number and then tap the text field it reverts to the standard keyboard.

I have now sent the phone back to EE because I'm exchanging it for a 128gb one. I hope the new one is the same. Now all I need to decide is whether to get the same space grey or silver.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

unable to reproduce this on my phone, nor have ever seen this before. almost wanting to raise the flag unless i see more proof. also, do you have bold fonts on? it looks much thicker/darker than normal.

7. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

Wait so you think the screen shot is made up? Yes I have bold fonts on both my iPhone and iPad Air 2 because I find some of the text easier to read with the bold text on because I'm dyslexic.

You believe what you want by the way, but why would I make it up?

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

no one else can replicate this with the normal ios keyboard and ive never, in years of owning ios devices, seen this. the regular keyboard shows up so you can type someones name by default. ios doesnt even have a keypad styled like a t9 anyways. must be a third party keyboard. show us what the keyboard looks like when you hit the ABC button.

9. KALLT macrumors 601

Perhaps it’s a glitch of some sort. Which version of iOS 8 are you currently running? Have you used a beta version or jailbroken your iPhone 6 in the past?

A different tone would definitely help.

10. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

I got the phone a couple of weeks ago to try out iOS again( it has been about 3 years since I was last on it) so I got a free 16gb knowing that if I liked iOS I could exchange it for a 128gb and pay the extra £148 for it. As it turns out I really liked the phone so I decided to stay with iOS and even got myself an iPad Air 2

The phone had an update right out of the box to 8.2 and then last week the update to 8.3 and it was after this that I noticed the change. The phone has never been jailbroken and I have tried a couple of keyboards but I didn't like them because they worked sometimes and others they didn't. I deleted them after a few days.

SwiftKey and Fancykey are the ones I tried.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

The thing is, the number pad keyboard that iOS would offer doesn't generally look quite like that either. There's usually no "ABC" button, and "0" doesn't have '+' next to it.

Here are basically the versions that come from iOS:

http://www.axure.com/c/attachments/...meric-keyboard-iphone-2013-12-16-14-02-37.png

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/iOS-7.1-number-pad.png

Are you sure this was Apple's Messages app and perhaps not some other messaging app that is designed very similarly (just in case that might be a possibility)?

Are you also sure that no third party keyboard might have remained somehow on the phone (that you didn't really uninstall it as you thought)?

Also, did you have any contacts saved not the phone, and did any of them have email addresses as part of their entries?

Aside form that, short of it perhaps being some sort of a glitch (which a restart or resetting some settings might have taken care of), unless this is somehow related to some sort of an accessibility option somewhere, or perhaps can be there with some alternative/international/localized keyboard layout, it's hard to say what else it could be. Would have been good to know what happens when that "ABC" button is used as that could have led to figuring out what keyboard it was and perhaps how it got to be in that state.

12. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

Definitely deleted the two keyboard apps, it is the iOS messaging app. Most of my contacts have email, address in them.

I will have my new phone on Friday waiting for me when I get back home so after I open it I will connect it to iTunes and update it and then restore it from the the backup I made before I sent the other one back.

At the end of the day I can't be the only one that this has happened to, I'm just not that special :D

13. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

Quick update on this, I got my new iPhone 6 today and after updating it to 8.3 and restoring it from the backup made of my other one and this has the same screen when I'm entering the phone number of the person I want to text.

----------

What proof would you like?

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm wondering if this might have to do with iMessage perhaps never having been activated. Also, in Settings > Messages, do you have MMS enabled?

Also, now that you have it happening on a device you have, have you tried using that "ABC" button?

And lastly, have you tried it before putting a backup on to see how it behaves without any old data/settings on it (basically as a brand new phone essentially)?

15. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

Cracked it, thank you. I don't have MMS enabled and when I do enable it I don't get the same screen, it is just the normal one with the symbols and the number row on the top.

Thanks again ##

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting. It's still a little odd given that even without MMS I believe regular SMS can be sent to an email address, which would still make sense for the regular keyboard to appear, but perhaps that depends on what the carrier might support as well.

So, out of curiosity, before you switched it all and now have the regular keyboard, did you try to use that "ABC" button to see what that would do?

17. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

Yes I tried it and I get the standard keyboard when I tap the ABC

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah, interesting. I guess without MMS (or iMessage) enabled it defaulted to the regular number keypad for phone numbers, but gave the option for the regular keyboard as well (perhaps to send SMS to an email address).

19. Will22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will22

Thanks for your help figuring it out.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

No problem. It was a bit of an odd curiosity having never seen that before, so it was interesting to find out what "causes" it (or basically what it's related to).