Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott189718

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
I run with a local fire company and we just added I-pads to the front of the trucks for internet capability and for use of the Active 911 app. What I'm trying to do is set up some type of texting for each truck so we are able to talk to one of the other trucks. As of now we have 12 I-pads that are all on the same I-cloud. But I would like to be able to use I-message to be able to message each truck individually. Do I need to set up a different I-cloud account for each individual truck, and if I'm logged into the Imessage account will I still get the updates that are updated throughout on the dept. wide Icloud account.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I run with a local fire company and we just added I-pads to the front of the trucks for internet capability and for use of the Active 911 app. What I'm trying to do is set up some type of texting for each truck so we are able to talk to one of the other trucks. As of now we have 12 I-pads that are all on the same I-cloud. But I would like to be able to use I-message to be able to message each truck individually. Do I need to set up a different I-cloud account for each individual truck, and if I'm logged into the Imessage account will I still get the updates that are updated throughout on the dept. wide Icloud account.

You may be able to get a third party texting app that would allow each iPad to create it's own account.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It should work. You can have an iCloud account for 'store' purchases.
And a different iCloud account for iMessage.

You could also consider Google accounts for Hangouts.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
It should work. You can have an iCloud account for 'store' purchases.
And a different iCloud account for iMessage.

You could also consider Google accounts for Hangouts.

I was thinking there was a way to have an iCloud account just for messaging, but I wasn't sure.

Now that I think about it, whenever I get a new device it gives me several choices on which accounts I want to use for iMessage.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

You need to create an iCloud account for each truck. Then make sure that in Settings, under "iCloud" and "iTunes and App Stores," all iPads are signed into the department iCloud account (the one you have now). Then for iMessages and FaceTime, each truck should sign into its own iCloud account. Now the trucks can iMessage each other or even FaceTime each other if your data plan has enough bandwidth for that, and all updates from App Store will come through (make sure you have the automatic download and update options turned ON under "iTunes and App Stores"), and if you are using Calendar, Contacts, Notes, etc, those things will be synced across all trucks.

scott189718

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
ok I will give that a try, by setting up another account and just using it for messaging. I was thinking you could but wasn't sure. I just don't want to mess with the updates that come across the dept wide icloud account. That's the only thing I'm afraid of.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
BBM (although and iPhone app) may give you an individual pin for each iPad?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
ok I will give that a try, by setting up another account and just using it for messaging. I was thinking you could but wasn't sure. I just don't want to mess with the updates that come across the dept wide icloud account. That's the only thing I'm afraid of.

What "updates" are these? Apps through the App Store? If so, the solution others outlined works perfectly. Sign into one shared iCloud account for the App Store. Then for iCloud itself/iMessages/FaceTime setup individual accounts for each truck. Easy as pie and should work perfectly.

It's similar to what I do with my family. We all share the same iCloud account for the App Store so that we need only buy an app once. Then we all have our individual iCloud accounts for messaging, FaceTime, iCloud backup, photostream, etc. Your example is exactly analogous, except you're dealing with trucks and not kids. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What "updates" are these? Apps through the App Store? If so, the solution others outlined works perfectly. Sign into one shared iCloud account for the App Store. Then for iCloud itself/iMessages/FaceTime setup individual accounts for each truck. Easy as pie and should work perfectly.

It's similar to what I do with my family. We all share the same iCloud account for the App Store so that we need only buy an app once. Then we all have our individual iCloud accounts for messaging, FaceTime, iCloud backup, photostream, etc. Your example is exactly analogous, except you're dealing with trucks and not kids. :)

Exactly. Except for the iCloud itself -- in the case of trucks, it might be more advantageous to have them signed in to the same main iCloud account, so things like calendars, contacts and reminders can be pushed to the trucks from the department.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yep! Individual iCloud accounts is the way to go for your deployment.
I'd also supervise and manage the iPads using an MDM so that you can push new licensed apps to each device without interaction or password remembering for your crew.

The MDM can also assist in tracking the devices locations, quick view on a map overview based off of the GPS of each.

Tons of other options to make the devices work best for your department.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
You can use pretty much any email account as well to message back and forth.

Example: my wife and I share the same iTunes account (mine@hotmail.com) but we each have our own Gmail accounts for email (mine@gmail.com and hers@gmail.com). We have messaging and Facetime setup so that so that I can message/Facetime her at hers@gmail.com and she can message/Facetime me at mine@gmail.com.

We use her gmail account calendar as the household calendar and I use my gmail account calendar for just my appointments.

Contacts are shared via icloud though so that we each have the same exact contact list.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yep! Individual iCloud accounts is the way to go for your deployment.
I'd also supervise and manage the iPads using an MDM so that you can push new licensed apps to each device without interaction or password remembering for your crew.

The MDM can also assist in tracking the devices locations, quick view on a map overview based off of the GPS of each.

MDM probably has other benefits I don't know about, but for these two examples you give, nothing special is needed.

For updating and automatically installing newly purchased apps on each device, just turn on "automatic download" and "automatic update" in "iTunes and App Stores."

For locating the devices, just make sure Find My iPad is turned on, then you can track the devices using Find My iPhone / iPad app or from the iCloud website. This is another reason to keep all iPads signed in to the same main iCloud account in iCloud itself.

PixelpusherBV

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Harwich, UK
You only need one icloud account. Just make sure each user/ iPad has a different email address which can then be allocated to iMessage. You can do the same with FaceTime.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
MDM probably has other benefits I don't know about, but for these two examples you give, nothing special is needed.

For updating and automatically installing newly purchased apps on each device, just turn on "automatic download" and "automatic update" in "iTunes and App Stores."

For locating the devices, just make sure Find My iPad is turned on, then you can track the devices using Find My iPhone / iPad app or from the iCloud website. This is another reason to keep all iPads signed in to the same main iCloud account in iCloud itself.

You are correct, MDM doesn't offer anything special that you cannot accomplish using the more cumbersome and term and condition breaking methods you've listed.

Here's what you are missing:
1) Overview of each and every iPad, location, connectivity, ect from one screen when they are on separate accounts
2) Licensing apps to keep you from violating Apple iTunes agreements.
3) Cost, for your organization an MDM such as Meraki would work perfectly and is free.

You've state you have 12 iPads; App Store apps are only allowed to be shared with 10 associated, non commercial devices. Running them in a fire truck treads upon the boundaries of, 'Is this commercial or personal?' Nonetheless 12 is not allowed, you will need at a minimum two iTunes account to be in compliance. Of course all of this is at your risk assessment. Companies I've worked for also push the boundaries ( County Offices ) of commercial. They have all chosen to purchase multiple licenses instead of sharing a license. This also makes it easier for the accountants and potential legal action from the new lawyer trying to make a name for themselves.

You can absolutely go to iCloud and look up each device and find it's location. Try locating all twelve quickly and see how fun that is, especially when you get them in compliance with Apple Terms and Conditions. Try seeing which iPad is currently at the location of fire1 and fire2 and which are currently enroute via iCloud. I'm guessing the benefits of an MDM will be immediately evident.

MDMs also have additional benefits for your organization: sending modal alerts or banner messages to each device from a single portal. Remotely unlocking the passcode that your employees will eventually set and forget, never mind the number of times you ask them not to or tell the passcode to use. An MDM really shines when considering scalability and accountability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.