iPad Messaging my iPad from my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMas70, Jun 15, 2014.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Is there a way that I can send a message to my iPad from my iPhone? Like when my kids have taken over my iPad and I want to send them a quick message. Yeah, I know, I could get up and go locate them in the house but sometimes it would be easier.

2. hharzer macrumors member

Just send an iMessage to yourself. It gets delivered to your iPad as well. Or rather the iMessage account that your iPad uses.

3. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok... that was easy! Something so obvious that I didn't think it could be done.

Thanks!

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The message will be visible if the kids open the iMessage app, but they won't get any alerts or badge notifications to tell them they should open the app.

My suggestion is to use find my iPad -- you can make the iPad beep, show a message, hey, you can even lock up the iPad so they'll be unable to continue using it. :p

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

No no they will. If you leave the app before the message sends it'll send to both as long as you don't read either one first.

I know this works because many iOS 8 features were displayed in that fashion on YouTube. Send Message, Leave App, Wait for Notification to pop up.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

LOL, that's a detail you should have maybe mentioned in your first post! I have to admit I've never left the app before confirming the message did send -- maybe I'm anal that way. It does seem to require fast button pushing, though, considering some messages send almost instantaneously.

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Err I never commented on this thread besides that one post.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, sorry, I got confused -- I thought you were the poster who posted post #2. :eek:

9. hharzer macrumors member

I'm sorry to confuse you :p

I forgot to mention this because I do that automatically every time I send myself a message. And I didn't consider that my habit could be important.

10. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are usually watching Netflix of playing games. I just sent myself a message in iMessage but a notification didn't come up. Went into Find my iPad. Didn't see an option to send a message but the play sound function would get some attention :)

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just checked, and it looks like the send message option got moved under the lock device function, whereas before it was under the play sound function. Oh, well. I used to use this sometimes when I needed to get my partner's attention -- he doesn't check his messages, even when there are more than a dozen badges on the icon. :(

----------

Understood. And I'm glad to have learned this trick -- might come in handy some day. ;)