Messaging Platform for Windows Phone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TheMTtakeover, May 16, 2014.

1. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

Does Windows Phone have its own messaging platform? Like iMessage or Hangouts?

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

They have one through Skype, I believe. I just use the normal messaging app that comes with my Lumia's.

That said, you can now join Hangouts via Outlook on Windows (which means that Windows Phone should be following suite at some point). Here is the new plugin below:

Attached Files:

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No matter what is available, not having Hangouts on Windows Phone is a bit of deal breaker for me.

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

That's the sickening thing about iMessage and Hangouts for me.

I use both to chat to many friends and will always need to own an Android and iOS device to keep using them, meaning I'll never be able to fully go Windows Phone. :(

The vendor lock-in has worked a charm for both Apple and Google in this respect with me. I wonder how many millions more are forced out of the WP platform because of reasons like this?

I hope that Google are forced to support WP more with it's continual growth.

5. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

6. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I've been using whatsapp since the iPhone 3g I think, don't know why is not that popular in the states.

Along with Skype and Viber, best solution imo.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Personally I think Google is hamstringing WP on purpose.

Just my opinion.

WP is very good. Like incredibly good in terms of fluidity and ease of use, even on the very low end like the Lumia 520. This takes aim directly at android, and goes where Apple doesn't.

Google is keeping a very real competitive advantage by denying WP.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I definitely agree with you there. I didn't make sense either as Google can be successful on a non-owned platform. You only have to look at Windows and iOS to see that.

Google services on Windows Phone would be a success no doubt. I'm sure as things pick up for Microsoft they will inevitably give in.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Concur as well. If Google services were on Windows Phone AND with WP8.1, I have no doubt in my mind that marketshare would grow very quickly for WP.

----------

Just read that Blackberry is bringing BBM to WP in the next couple of months. They apparently announced this in Feb.

10. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

WhatsApp is ridiculously popular at where I am. It has superseded SMS as a means to exchange texts, at least for me and my friends.

I think this is due to lack of unlimited texting plans. However, they only charge 1 MYR cent for each text anyway.

11. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Any messaging app will do. It doesnt have to be Hangouts and i personally like Textra better than Hangouts. They are all just message apps when it comes down to it.

12. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I read on wpcentral that whatsapp has been pulled from the Windows phone app store. I didn't read the entire article so I don't know the reason.

13. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yes it has. But because a major update is about to be released. See image below:

[​IMG]

14. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I didn't realize text messaging limits were still an issue.

----------

Lot's of bugs. I guess it was just easier for them to pull it and work on it and then re release it.