Messaging privacy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jenna1967, May 16, 2014.

1. Jenna1967 macrumors newbie

My husband got me my iphone and it is under his name. How do I know that he can't read my text messages? (I text my sister a lot and share "beefs" about him to her and I don't want him to read them. Don't worry, nothing nefarious. But I really don't want him to get the texts that I send her.
    I would appreciate any input,
    Thanks,
    Jenna

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Put a passcode on your phone
    Or delete all your messages after you read them

3. SpyderBite, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Messaging privacy

Setup your own Apple ID which you can use for messaging, cloud, etc. you can still log in to the Store with your husbands id if you're sharing purchased music and apps.

Btw.. He won't be able to see txt messages which are sent via SMS vs iMessage. The latter will pop up on both devices if you are sharing an id for iMessage.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like said above text messages he cannot view even if he's the account holder.
    If they are imessages between 2 iphones he can see them if you use the same icloud account and he sets up the same user id and password on his device or mac computer for imessage.
    If you use imessages just by using your phone number then he will not be able to see them either.
    Also keep a passcode on your phone and delete conversations if you don't want him getting in.
    But again not a healthy relationship if you feel the need to do all that or feel like he's spying on you.
    Go to settings/messages and see if imessage is turned on or off.
    And then the send & receive field if its listing your phone number or an email. Let us know about those things.

5. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

This is dead on-point!

Created your own Apple ID, problem solved forever... :apple:

6. Jenna1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I think I'm covered on all fronts, thanks. Question, though. What's the difference between SMS and the other kind?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Other kind being iMessage? SMS is sent through your mobile carrier (and doesn't use data, but can have separate charges from the carrier depending on your plan/features), iMessage is sent through Apple (and uses data).

8. Jenna1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just to be extra clear, if someone has your apple ID and password they could log on as you on an iPad or Mac and get your iMessages in real time.

I know others already said to keep your password secret, but one might reasonably think that means "keep the password secret and the phone out of their hands."

The part about them needing the phone isn't necessary for someone to snoop iMessages.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Ain't love blissful…Create a separate Apple I.D. different from his, as mentioned.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Also note that SMS will show up as "Green" bubbles and iMessage shows up as "Blue" bubbles. And there's no way your husband can get your texts (outside of your phone) without some sort of warrant to your provider and maybe Apple for the iMessage.

But yes, definitely as others have stressed, get your own Apple ID. And also, do not login with this Apple ID on your Mac, since it may link your conversations in the Messages app on OSX.

And one last thing, make sure you make it so that "Messaging Preview" is off so that a portion of the text can't be seen unless you open it in the messages app on your phone. You'll only get a notification that you a got a text message from [your friend's name]. This is done in your settings in the Notification Center sub-menu, then Messages, and toggle "Show Preview" off.

12. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Marriage was invented by the goverment to keep us in check :)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not if you're NOT using an apple ID for your imessage.
    If you use your phone number only then nobody can log in using an ipad or mac and receive the imessages that go to your cellphones number.

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

If that's the case, they need to start issuing fines to those that stray :D.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Except that marriage generally has its roots in religion (although in some sense that can be seen as a form of government).

16. I7guy, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

As an aside my wife and I share everything with nothing to hide. Every marriage is different, but if my wife was worried about me reading her text marriages because she would be saying things in writing that if I knew about would be hurtful, that would be it for me. (She could look through my phone, I could care less, unless there is business confidential info lying around)

17. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Use an app called cyber dust. The messages are deleted everyday from the servers. Nobody will ever be able to read them again once their read by the recipient.