messanger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kalashnikov, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Kalashnikov macrumors member

Hey guys i just downloaded msn messanger for mac and i dont like it because its an old version. I want to remove it from the mbp. How would i do that im new to macs so i dont know. I know in windows you go to the control panel but how does it go here? If anybody has a link to a newer msn messanger for a mac please post the link thanks alot!

2. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

just find the application and drag it into the trash can, its on the doc.

You can download Adium, its AIM, MSN, and yahoo all in one, its really nice

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Just throw the application in the trash can.

And there is no newer MSN Messenger for Mac, at least for now. Get Adium.

EDIT: I'm too slow.

4. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

oh okay that was what i thought to do but i remember in windows if you delete the shortcut sort of speak you dont get rid of the program itself so all i have to do is trash it thanks!

can you turn the camera on over adium for msn messanger?

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Adium does not currently support video or audio chatting.

6. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

If you want to use your camera when using msn, mercury is the only one i have found that lets you do it.

7. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

aMSN also allows for webcam use on Windows Live!.

8. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

It works a little different in Mac OS X. The applications are all in the applications folder on your startup drive, and when you drag them to the dock, it creates a sort of shortcut, called 'alias' in OS X. All the app needs is in the applications folder, but in some cases, the app leaves traces all over your library (a folder for user specific information) in the form of preference files. To delete these too, you can use an application like AppCleaner. If you open it, you can drag any executable file from the applications folder onto its window and it will search your Mac for any files connected to the app. It will then delete all those traces and leave you with a clean computer.

9. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

I use messenger for mac v6, sucks that it does not auto reconnect but good that it's not full of adverts and junk like the windows version. I don't see what the fuss is about Adium, It's ugly, atleast the skins they include with it are. The way it groups your sentences is annoying and it has a smiley complex. I don't know a single person that uses AIM so ichat is useless. Havn't looked at the mac yahoo yet.

Hopefully the new MSN messenger comes out soon with voice and video support.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The point is, there are thousands of possible skins for it, and it's highly customizable. I personally don't use iChat anymore because for me, Adium is a cleaner, more expandable, better thought out program that also has (to me) better aesthetics. iChat isn't a horrible program, and I do use it to video chat, but for pure text chat, Adium rules the roost.

Regarding MSN Messenger, I had it installed previously, and it was quite clunky. Yahoo… Yahoo is a lot like Messenger, but also clunky. Whatever works, I suppose.

11. Fred Bear66 macrumors newbie

I cannot control Word for Mac...

New computer user.....got a little Macbook....trying to write stories.....
    They told me Macs were better than PC's...easier to use.....
    so far, this $1200 toy is difficult to use.....
    I'm using Microsoft Word for mac.....
    Computer keeps "hiding" the manuscript....not easy to find....computer says something about an "alias". What in the hell is that?

I can never be sure they writing will be where I left it. There are too many bells and whistles and I spend half my time just trying to find what I've written.

If you can help, using plain language (not computer-ese) Please reply

thank you

Madeline (aka fred bear)