Messed up dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by biga935, Jul 28, 2009.

1. biga935 macrumors newbie

biga935

I did something very dumb of me. I tried customizing my dock like crazy. I used leoparddocks.com, candybar, dockdoctor everything. But then when I would use different applications to change my dock, my icons would start disappearing.:confused: they are usable but are invisible. Also whenever I put something in my dock. I cant take it out. It would disappear for a second then come right back. Please Help!!!!!:(

Also here are some photos.

Attached Files:

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

If you don't have any Mac know-how, you shouldn't be messing around with your Dock in the first place. Since it will be too much of a hassle to directly attack the problem, your best solution is to do an 'Archive and Install'. Pop in your OS X reinstall CD and it will guide you through the rest.

3. biga935 thread starter macrumors newbie

biga935

Its not too much of a hassle to directly attack the problem. Just tell me the procedure to fix the problem. I've already tried the commands on Terminal. It didnt help. Thanks

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Did you delete those apps? Please say yes. Also, installing Limewire is notorious for having to see a mac genius.

5. csalm87 macrumors regular

csalm87

first you need to undo what you have customized with those apps. I know some of the apps will be able to undo what they have done. Unless you know what you're doing you should NEVER try to customize the OS X interface. This customization can cause problems like this.

6. philtrapp macrumors newbie

philtrapp

Help!

my problem may not be as urgent as your but it's also bad. I noticed a while back that DockDoctor slows down my start-up. So i did restore OSX defaults. But the dock is different! I attached a pic. There is a white line at the bottom.:confused:

Attached Files:

7. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

That is normal - its a glass shelf!

Attached Files:

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Delete the apps, then delete the dock's plist file. That should restore the defaults. If not, there is a "kill all dock" Terminal command, but you need the exact syntax. I don't use Terminal, sorry.

9. matttung macrumors member

Or, copy Dock.app from another machine running the same OS and replace it with root access ?

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i kept a backup of my dock and i never had a problem either. to fix ur problem there a couple of things u can pop in the instal disc like someone said. u might be able to go int disc utility and fix it but im not sure. also idk what terminal commands u used but did u try just putting the dock back the way it was, the leopard docks app has a default reset so u can do that then delete the app.