Messed up finder while using Terminal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Carnzoid, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Carnzoid macrumors newbie

This morning I followed installing instructions for the game Minecraft, I wanted to install some modifications. There was no written warning about the implications of using these commands in Terminal.

Here is the thread, it's in the first post: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/75440-v173-risugamis-mods-recipe-book-updated/

I'll copy paste it here for convenience sake:

Macintosh:
    1) Go to Applications>Utilities and open terminal.
    2) Type in the following, line by line:

cd ~
    mkdir mctmp
    cd mctmp
    jar xf ~/Library/Application\ Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar

3) Outside of terminal, copy all the files and folders into the mctmp directory.
    4) Back inside terminal, type in the following:

rm META-INF/MOJANG_C.*
    jar uf ~/Library/Application\ Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar ./
    cd ..
    rm -rf mctmp

5) Run Minecraft, enjoy!

I used the command, installed a mod, and then I remembered I wanted to install another mod. So I used the terminal commands again! Apparantly that was a big mistake. All the files from my desktop were gone, and the files from my download folder, and my documents folder.
    On top of that, each time I want to move a file to the trash in the finder with the apple-backspace combination, I get a pop-up window asking if I'm sure I want to permanently delete the file. Instead of moving it to the trash, it immediatly deletes the file.

Also, the last command is suppsed to hide the "mctmp" folder, but even after using the last command, the folder is still there.
    I'm afraid I might have screwed up my computer. I knew the risk of using Terminal, but I wasn't aware it could be this bad.

I hope any of you here can help me out, I really don't want to reinstall my whole OS because of some messed-up hotkey.

EDIT: I also found out that even when I drag a folder to the trashcan, it deletes the file right away, without having the use the empty trash command.

2. Natillian macrumors newbie

3. capnweo macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem too!

I was wondering if either of you found a fix. This just happened to me, and man is it frustrating! Thanks so much.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Sounds like you didn't type the command correctly and you deleted everything in your entire User account.
    The Trash giving a warning about files being deleted immediately is a sign that your user's .Trash folder is missing.
    Enter this command :
    Code:
    mkdir ~/.Trash/
    and restart your Mac.

As for your other files, you can restore them from your backup.

The rm command doesn't "hide" folders -- it removes (i.e. deletes) files. the r and f options are to force (i.e. not ask permission) and recursively go into subfolders.