Messed up H key, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by newdeal, Dec 26, 2010.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

I got a 13" air today, it was an open box special from an authorized dealer. On occasion the H key makes this hard click almost like something is stuck under the key. It doesn't do it every time but it does it frequently. Is there anything I can do about this myself of am I going to be forced to take it to Apple? There is really no Apple store nearby and I don't really want to have to send it away

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Likely nothing you can do about it yourself.

You'll have to figure out something I guess.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

It might be worth the effort to take it to an Apple Store since although its an open box, it was purchased just recently, and Apple will most likely replace it for another unit.

It all depends on how far the store is from you.

Alternatively, if you call up Tech Support and explain your case, they will probably authorize a system replacement also.

4. psirix macrumors member

Since you don't have a location nearby, I'd definitely try calling Apple first to see if they will do an advance replacement.

5. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

Tis. Apple is really willing and eager to elp teir customers and to make sure tey are appy wit teir purcases. It's all about te word of mout.

6. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Rofl

Now that IS funny.

I had a similar problem with my old (non unibody) MacBook Pro 15". I got it second hand, 6 months old. The T key would stick and it had a grating noise.

Apple repaired it for me, under warranty, in doing so created a whole cascade of other problems. After going back 4 times in total, they replaced the whole machine for the current (Unibody) model. I was happy ultimately, though the hassle of not having my portable Mac for a while was the biggest issue.

7. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

lol the H key does work its just noisy. There is a Apple store not too far from me in Buffalo but I bought the machine in Canada. I wonder if they will do anything in the US apple store...on the bright side the more I type the less it seems to do it.

8. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

INTERNATIONAL warranty

Apple's Portable machines (and AFAIK the Mac Mini) have an international warranty, I have had a minor MacBook Pro issue repaired under warranty whilst in NYC, though I live in the UK. Unless Canada has some weird rules, sure that the same will apply to you.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm confused here, you said you bought an open box from an authorized reseller. Why not just go back to that retailer and take it back? Why are you trying to deal with Apple about this?

10. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

I will try tommarrow but I am not sure they will give me a sealed one to replace my open box model without charging me a differance

11. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

Got it from Futureshop here in Canada. Gave them a call and they said to bring it in because they stand behind their open box products and they gave me a brand new factory sealed one as a replacement. Not bad considering the price reduction for the open box was 10% and now I have a brand new one anyway.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Excellent!!!! :)