Messed up Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toxthexnines, Sep 19, 2007.

1. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I've heard several reports about the scroll ball on the mighty mouse stop working. So mine stopped working, im thinking probably because of dirt build up. So my question is can i take it apart and clean it off in hopes that it will work again:confused: Has anybody done this before? i would like to try to fix it before i spend more money on another mouse.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. toxthexnines thread starter macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Its clean on the outside, but the scroll ball is most likely dead from too much dirt collecting in it. So i guess im going to have to buy a new mouse:mad:

4. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

how old is it? i´m on my third mm, i´ve had two replaced for free within the first year – same issue as yours.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Did you do this:

I find that with enough upside down scrolling, particles do fall out and everything returns to normal. Having said that, I replaced my MM after about 5 months of use because of a dead scroll ball. If its less than a year old, get Apple to replace it if the upside down scrolling doesn't do it.

I use a piece of paper and scroll the ball directly on that vigorously.

6. toxthexnines thread starter macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Dang, im just a little over one year. Im going to try the upside down cleaning, i hope it works

7. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

For me whenever it messes up, just getting a very small piece of paper (long but thin, usually just teared off something) fixes it for quite some while.

On an interesting note, I havn't had to change my batteries yet since I bought the mouse. Which was well over 2 months ago. I am quite impressed.