messed up my lion install by trying to replace boot.efi with hacked 64bit

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ibuyufo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Like the title says. I knew the risk and tried anyway, so now my mac is stuck at the apple logo screen with no circling wheel.

The short story is last night I saw a posting about people modifying their boot.efi to allow a macbook to boot into 64 bit kernel. The macbook model was different and mine was a 4,1.
    So far I've tried copying the backup boot.efi from lion into the corresponding directories that were affected and repairing permission but no go for me!
    I can boot into the maintenance partition and try to reinstall lion again but would that erase what I have?

Any advice as to how I can get this to boot would be greatly appreciated and I do promise to never mess with this again! :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why are you wanting it to boot into a 64-bit kernel?

3. ibuyufo thread starter macrumors 6502

Partly out of curiosity and also because I'll be adding more ram to my macbook. I guess it's true that curiosity killed the cat in this case a lion.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Running a 64-bit kernel has nothing to do with more ram. A Mac Pro can start up in 32-bit kernel mode and still access 12+ Gb of ram without a problem. Furthermore, there is no gain to running a 64-bit kernel at this time.

5. ibuyufo thread starter macrumors 6502

So I am new to the entire mac ecosystem and I wish I had known that earlier!

6. ibuyufo thread starter macrumors 6502

well, I broke down and reinstalled lion in the macbook. I hope this is a lesson to anyone trying to mess with the boot.efi unless you know how to recover from this haha. Also make sure you have a time machine backup if you're going to do it.

7. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Lion changed which computers boot up in 64-bit mode. Don't quote me on this, but if your Mac can run a the 64-bit kernel, it automatically boots to it. If your Mac is an older model (like my Mac mini 2007) that only supports the 32-bit kernel, it will only boot the 32-bit kenel even if you hold down the 6 and 4 keys. On Snow Leopard, only select computers booted in 64-bit mode like the Mac Pro and XServes.

8. ibuyufo thread starter macrumors 6502

That kinda sucks that apple does that to differentiate the macbook and macbook pro line. The machines are more than capable running the 64 bit kernel but it's being intentionally crippled so people can pay more money to Apple.

9. nicklad, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

nicklad macrumors 6502

The issue is actually to do with the KEXTs - a 64-bit one has to be available for each bit of hardware. As far as I know, the issue on the MacBooks is that there is no 64-bit KEXT for the Intel GMA 950 or the Intel GMA X3100.

I don't think there's one for the AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 either, so MacBook Pro owners with one of those are restricted to the 32-bit kernel too.

I'm curious what you mean by crippled? What are you being prohibited from doing exactly? :S

My personal hunch is that Lion's successor will not have a 32-bit kernel at all and Apple will get a working, stable 64-bit driver for the X3100 (they did an incomplete one at one point for Snow Leopard).

Computers with the GMA 950 or X1600 will then be unupported.