Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.borque

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Hello!
I tried to install Windows using Bootcamp. On my first attemp Win tried to install in UEFI-mode and failed, using non-UEFI-Setup worked then. But something went wrong and I am afraid the partition structur of my Mac is messed up:
Althoug I can select running OSX or Win or the Recovery using the option-key on start-up there is another partition shown called UEFI-Boot which does not do anything. Furthermore OSX takes very very long to start.
I have tried the usual things, running diskutil, fsck in single user mode, rebuildung the start-up-databases, removing Bootcamp, but UEFI-Boot is still visible.
According to other sources this should not be shown, but needs to be there for firmwareupdates?
Can I hide the partition again? Do I need to repair more?
Thanks for a reply!
A.Borque

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello!
I tried to install Windows using Bootcamp. On my first attemp Win tried to install in UEFI-mode and failed, using non-UEFI-Setup worked then. But something went wrong and I am afraid the partition structur of my Mac is messed up:
Althoug I can select running OSX or Win or the Recovery using the option-key on start-up there is another partition shown called UEFI-Boot which does not do anything. Furthermore OSX takes very very long to start.
I have tried the usual things, running diskutil, fsck in single user mode, rebuildung the start-up-databases, removing Bootcamp, but UEFI-Boot is still visible.
According to other sources this should not be shown, but needs to be there for firmwareupdates?
Can I hide the partition again? Do I need to repair more?
Thanks for a reply!
A.Borque

Go to System Preferences->Startup Disk and makes sure that the OS X install is highlighted. If you now reboot is it faster?

If you open Disk Utility, select the hardware name of your internal hard drive (not Macintosh HD), select the partition tab. Does UEFI-Boot show up as a partitions? Can you post a picture of the partitions shown.

a.borque

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Hello!
Startup is set to OSX, which is surprisingly the only option there (no Bootcamp is shown).
But AFAIK this is a side effect of Paragons NTFS for Mac which is installed. I forgot to mention that in my first post, but I think at the boot-selection-menu triggered by pressing ALT on startup Paragons driver is not loaded so this should not be the problem there.
In diskutil -> Toshiba (which is the HDD used in my MBP) -> Partitions only Macintosh HD and Bootcamp show up. An image is attached (german version of OSX).
Thanks for your help!
A.Borque

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello!
Startup is set to OSX, which is surprisingly the only option there (no Bootcamp is shown).
But AFAIK this is a side effect of Paragons NTFS for Mac which is installed. I forgot to mention that in my first post, but I think at the boot-selection-menu triggered by pressing ALT on startup Paragons driver is not loaded so this should not be the problem there.
In diskutil -> Toshiba (which is the HDD used in my MBP) -> Partitions only Macintosh HD and Bootcamp show up. An image is attached (german version of OSX).
Thanks for your help!
A.Borque

Try this: http://best-mac-tips.com/2012/08/23/show-hidden-partitions-osx/

Attach another picture of Disk Utility showing the partitions again after you do the above.

a.borque

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
You are right, not UEFI but EFI. I mixed that up, my apologies for that.
To clarify it:
I tried to install windows and the initial setup was in U(!)EFI-Mode and did not complete telling me at a late point that something in the boot structure could not be changed. So I tried again using the (BIOS?)mode setup of windows which worked.
Since than that EFI-Partition shows up at startup when pressing ALT and OSX-startup is slow.
Elsewhere I have read, that EFI-Partition is necessary, but must not (and in fact on my mac did not) show up at startup when pressing ALT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.