iPhone Messed up push notifications

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by SRASC, Jun 17, 2013.

1. SRASC macrumors member

Seems like jumping from iOS 6 to 7 and back to 6 again messed up my notifications. Tried several fixes and no go.

Tried resetting the notification settings for the affected apps
    reinstalling those apps
    resetting their notification settings
    redoing iOS 6.1.4

Messed up in the sense that some apps give double notifications & others repeat notifications from as far back as a day.

Thanks.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

3. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

4. SRASC thread starter macrumors member

Double notifications: CNN, NASCAR Mobile '13 that I've seen so far.

Repeat notifications: TV Guide

----------

Wish that was the case but I've been back on iOS 6.1.4 since just after 7:00pm last Wednesday.

5. bpiorczyn macrumors newbie

I've also got the same issue, gmail repeats unread emails, even after they've been read/deleted. Seem like almost any app the sends push notifications sends them twice...

6. SRASC thread starter macrumors member

Screenshot showing what is going on. Also showing the worse offender of this problem, the TV Guide app.

Attached Files:

7. SRASC thread starter macrumors member

8. SRASC, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

SRASC thread starter macrumors member

Messed up push notifications

Thinking the ultimate cure is a full restore, but I still don't want to lose my data. Anyone have experience using iTools & its backup .ipa option? Would using this to backup the app's data be able to be reinstalled after the restore is complete in iTunes?

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Did you restore a backup from when you were on iOS 7. I've seen folks do that and it all seems to work just fine. Until some weird quirk like this turns up.

10. SRASC thread starter macrumors member

I did, but I restored from an iOS 6 backup, not the iOS 7 one.

11. SRASC thread starter macrumors member

Well after trying everything I knew & not getting through, I went for a full restore, 1st one since I've owned iPhones.

Wondering now if there is anyway I could extract the app data from the old backup to replace in the new one?

12. shearm macrumors member

shearm

did the full restore work

to get rid of the duplicate notifications?

13. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Isn't notifications an apple server thing though? I don't know how much help doing a restore will do, if there is something wrong on the server side.

14. franktinsley, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

franktinsley macrumors newbie

EDIT 2: Okay I finally fixed it by, you guessed it, erasing all content and settings on my iPhone and setting it up as new. I tried erasing just data in the iCloud backup pertaining to the offending app but restoring with that backup just brought the issue back with it. So the only solution was to setup as new. Fortunately it hasn't really done much to my data since I store pretty much everything on iCloud in it's various parts outside device backups. And I use iTunes Match so all my stuff was pretty much back where it belongs. Just have to install apps again. Oh well. Phone feels snappier now.

EDIT: Never mind, the issue came back after a while. Man this is a stubborn problem!

I had this exact same problem after rolling back to iOS 6 from 7. What finally seems to have fixed it for good was resetting network settings twice in a row. I reset them once but noticed it didn't seem to actually reset my settings because my iPhone immediately connected to my wifi. Something it should not have been able to do as it shouldn't have known my wifi password. So I reset them again and that time I had to enter my wifi password, as I should. Since then I haven't had any weird notifications.

15. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Oh Good Im not the only one! I've also noticed I get double "Ding" sounds when new mail comes in Mailbox.

----------

So basically a full restore does the trick?