Messed up putting new hard drive in macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Land Sea-Lion, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Land Sea-Lion macrumors newbie

I just installed a new hard drive in my macbook, but apparently I did it wrong. After I installed it, I brought it to the apple store to get OS X loaded onto it because I lost my discs. They told me that when I put the new hard drive in, I forgot to put in the support screws, and that my new hard drive would die because it would be rattling around inside.

I guess that's what I get for following the official Apple DIY instructions which do not mention this.... and also what I get for being stupid.

Anyway, now that I'm back home I'm trying to get the new hard drive out, but I'm not sure how as there is no pulltab. Is it jammed in there forever?

Also, in the event I do manage to get it out, are the supposed "support screws" the little metal sheet thing currently attached to the old (original) hard drive I removed? Can I take it off of that one and place it on the new one?

2. z7tjxd45 macrumors member

Yeah you take off the 4 screws from your old HD and in the same location in the new. Although directions do not state this, should have been a red flag when you put it back in and noticed it didn't fit snug.

If it's in there without those screws, it should be rattling and not hard at all to pull out.