Messed up RAM installation big time...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gheat93, Sep 20, 2011.

1. gheat93 macrumors member

I tried to upgrade the RAM in my 2011 17" MBP today. The bottom stick went in fine, but I managed to get the second stick stuck - I guess I didn't push the contacts in far enough before pushing the stick down flat into the slot. So not only does it not get recognised, but it is also impossible to remove. I thought I'd try and prise it out again, but in the process managed to tear the foam pad covering the connector from the HDD to the logic board.
    So, first of all, what is the purpose of the foam pad, and should I be worried about this?
    Secondly, how can I go about resolving the fact that the RAM is stuck in the slot? If I took it to the Apple Store, how would they be able to help me out?

Thanks.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

It's a good thing you're not a heart surgeon...

There are clips on either side of the RAM sticks. Perhaps you can remove the RAM sticks if you expand the clips on one or both sides of the stick.

3. Moonflow macrumors member

I have no idea but if this happen in my case i would destroy the memory cut it up into pieces and make it so that it is removeable without damaging your interior because that is more important than a 40$ ram correct?

Don't try to pull or push, just cut it up and remove it then purchase new ram.

4. gheat93 thread starter macrumors member

Pushing the clips outwards doesn't do anything - the RAM doesn't pop up and stays stuck in the slot.
    Are you actually suggesting I cut the RAM up to remove it? You don't think anyone at Apple can do anything about this? I'm reluctant for the moment to open the case up and go in there again on my own.

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Can you take a good picture of it? The RAM for the MBP doesn't pop up that high if I recall correctly. I wouldn't cut it by any means but your only two options really hard pull it out or push it in further.

6. pazz macrumors regular

Go to lift the stick up into the position it was in before you pushed flat.

7. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

Get a pair of needle nosed pliers and yank the stuck memory out as hard as you can. If you can't put it in right the first time, then you're not going to get it out using finess. You're also only talking about messing up one stick of RAM so that's about $20 of your total $40. Hopefully it won't tear up you RAM slot but you can't use the one anyway so what's to lose?

Once that's done, take the second stick of RAM out correctly and practice putting RAM in correctly by filling both slots with the original RAM.

Put the back on the MBP and leave it alone from now on. It isn't that hard to replace your RAM but you obviously don't know how so stop messing with it.

8. Moonflow macrumors member

I wouldn't recommend to pull it out as hard as you can because that way you are pulling other things apart as well. It is a laptop interior not a desktop, you can damage the entire interior by pulling it hard.

Face it, just get something to cut it with and remove it correctly. The loss of 1 stick of ram is worth more than damaging your laptop's interior.

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

My guess is YES, Apple can do something about it.. for $100 ++ and some funny looks possibly.. I'd grab a pair of Side-cutters and 'snip the RAM' if it is truly stuck.. as noted, a $40 lesson I'd guess.. Could be WAY worse!!

10. burtjr macrumors newbie

If you cannot get the memory out with normal force bring it to Apple it will be cheaper in the long run for you. You can do major damage if you pull some of the motherboard parts out with the memory. Then you are talking much more than $100.

11. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

:eek: These happend to me also not long ago , to tell you the truth i turned all brute and got it off , installed correctly and all was fine BUT i dont recommend doing the same thing :D . In my case the problem was i installed the bottom one wrong in fact i didnt even clip it correctly i was afraid i allready ****ed the slot ( i noticed after turning on the lappy) yet i was lucky .

Advice is take it to an apple store , in here theres NONE so i had to take chances myself :)

12. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

I have seen something similar when the RAM stick was not installed properly and not clipped in such that it would not pop up when you try to remove it.

The trick to remove the stuck RAM seems to be not to try to pull it out of the slot straight away but to first push it back into the slot a little way and then try to push it up to the angle it should be in for insertion. It seems like there is a catch or something which stops the RAM stick being removed until it is at a certain angle.

If this does not work, then I would go with the posters who have suggested cutting the RAM stick up and removing it that way.

13. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Hmm like Vogue said i think thats what i did , push it back (need to put presure) and then pull it up .