Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
alright well i went to the apple store last wednesday to figure out what laptop i wanted to buy. i had my eyes set on the 2.53ghz 15" mbp with antiglare screen on it. little did i know this apple store only carried the 2.66ghz/2.8ghz 15" mbp with antiglare screen. so they said i had to order it online, ok no worries, i'll just wait a few days for them to ship it to me.

so i got home, went online the next day (saturday) and talked to TWO people (i really wanted to confirm this) on apple's online chat about the purchase. I asked if apple would still let me return the basic 15" macbook pro after 14 days after it arrives. I made it clear that i was purchasing one with a antiglare screen (the apple store by me didnt mark their antiglare screen 15" mbps as CTO... obviously since they had them in stock). Both representatives on the online chat said yes, this is fine, i can still return it after 14 days of arrival.

so finally i decide to make the decision by buying the 2.53ghz 15" macbook pro with antiglare screen. nothing else was added. afterwords i go to check my order status and it says MBP 15.4/2.53/ CTO. CTO standing for customized to order... now im really confused because it has to come from china where the CTO's are built. im thinking to myself, "their not going to let me return a CTO, wtf?". so i get online chat today and talk to another representative who tells me generally i cannot return a CTO...

of course, i have no proof that the 2 other reps said that I can return it...

it hasnt arrived yet, im debating whether or not i should cancel it before it arrives? or if thats even possible?

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Yeah, generally you cannot return CTO Macs. If you plan on possibly returning in then why are you buying in the first place?

If it hasn't shipped there's a slight chance you can cancel the order. Call Apple or check your order status online to see if you can cancel. Edit: Nevermind, I reread the OP and it sounds like it already shipped. What I would do is call Applecare and explain your situation if you plan on returning because there's pretty much nothing else you can do at this point (I think).

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
You can retutrn a CTO within 14 days - at least that is what I was told. However, once you open the box you may be subject to a 15% restock fee.

Now, here is the good news. If the new MBP get refreshed within 14 days you can return for the latest model without restocking fees and even if you loaded the computer up with your stuff. I say this after a conversation I had with a Apple rep on the phone. If I was you I would give them and a call and verify this and make sure that conversation goes in the record. "I just ordered a MBP on-line but I suspect that a new models will be available new week. I was told that I could switch or get credit if the latest similar model costs less. Can you verify this policy? If not, perhaps I should cancel my order"

This will have you covered and also let you sleep a little easier

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah, generally you cannot return CTO Macs. If you plan on possibly returning in then why are you buying in the first place?

If it hasn't shipped there's a slight chance you can cancel the order. Call Apple or check your order status online to see if you can cancel.

You can cancel a CTO order before it goes to assembly. I did it yesterday. :)

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010

If it hasn't shipped there's a slight chance you can cancel the order. Call Apple or check your order status online to see if you can cancel.

True, but i have no laptop and i need one for school. i just sold my black macbook for a unbelievable price so i didn't want to wait and lose $300-$400 off of the price. i want the current gen of macbook pros and i wouldn't mind keeping it at all. but i just want to be prepared IF for some random reason apple releases the new macbook pro within 14 days, i can get one. i don't want to wait until the day comes and im trying to explain this to a apple rep.

just saw the other 2 replies now, thanks for the quick ones. and thanks vantage point, that makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing i can still return it. and to prolene: the macbook pro shipped yesterday so it's already made.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
just saw the other 2 replies now, thanks for the quick ones. and thanks vantage point, that makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing i can still return it. and to prolene: the macbook pro shipped yesterday so it's already made.

Make sure you call them, like today, and get this on record. I know for a fact that some return/exchange policies are grey areas and it depends on who you speak with. For example, I called Apple again late last week after being dissapointed that there was no MBP refresh (as I am now considering an imac instead), to ask a few questions including the return policy. Specifically, I asked if I bought a imac and it is yellow screen can I return without restocking? Yes!. If I buy a imac and it works perfectly but I just do not like it and decided to return it and purchase a more expensive, new 15" MBP, would I have to pay a restock fee? They guy said, "don't worry, this is grey area but I will take care of you and write it up as an upgrade. Make sure you order from me, here is my direct line/ext when you are ready."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.