Messed up setting, now screen won't work sometimes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SixxTwo42, Dec 5, 2007.

1. SixxTwo42 macrumors newbie

Ok, first of all here is what I did:

- I went to system preferences -> displays
    - where it says "Rotate" I put it on 90°

So then the screen went black and it said "Out of Range". I couldn't do anything to get back to my regular screen. After I turned the mac off and back on a couple of times it finally worked again.
    I changed the "Rotate" setting back to "Standard" (did a reset), but still i get the Out of Range-Screen every now and then when I turn the computer on. Again, the only thing I seem to be able to do is turn the mac off and back on.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to stop it?

I dont know it this is of any relevance, but my monitor is a BenQFP72E (17")

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Bring up the OSD for the screen and go to the factory reset option. Choose that. You'll lose any custom settings you have made, but that should make the Out of Range screen stop appearing.

OSD = On-Screen Display, the way you alter the settings for most non-Apple monitors.

3. SixxTwo42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I am completely computer illiterate....how do i bring the OSD up....

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

On the front of the monitor (usually where the buttons are) press one of the buttons that isn't the Power button. That should summon the OSD.

5. SixxTwo42 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, I found it.....I did a reset, so now I guess it's wait and see......thank you