Messed up start up and upgrade issue.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StevenMacintosh, Mar 23, 2011.

1. StevenMacintosh macrumors newbie

My MacBook starts up to a black screen, and continues to fill with text (things turning on). It came installed with Snow Leopard. I upgraded the RAM (while on Snow Leopard.) I some how broke the HDD and replaced it with a HDD from my brother's old and useless Mac. The OS was downgraded to Leopard. I finally got a (torrented version, I am not paying for another disc that they should have given me!). Anyways, when I try to upgrade the OS this is how it goes.

-- Click here to install OS.
    -- Enter password.
    -- Click okay to restart.
    -- Goes to black screen (shuts everything off.)
    -- Turns to white screen.
    -- Goes to black screen very quickly. (I don't see the rotating icon or apple image anymore on the white screen)
    -- Turns on.
    -- Asks me to login.
    -- No changes to the OS.

Please help!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It's very possible that your torrented version of 10.6 was made from a system-specific gray install DVD, and not from a retail version which you could use to upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6; another possibility is that you somehow burned the downloaded disk image wrong and the computer is not able to start up to the disc you created.
    I am curious though, who is it that you feel should have given you the install DVD? Apple? a reseller or individual who sold you the MacBook? If you bought the computer brand new, absolutely Apple should have provided you the discs; if they weren't in the box you should have called AppleCare and asked for a complimentary replacement set. If from a reseller or individual it's on them to include the DVDs at time of sale, and if they didn't, they should have accordingly reduced the price because it's technically not a whole system without a set of discs that you would potentially need to correct a software issue down the line.