Messed up top and bottom case and laptop age. . .

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dannewell15, Sep 12, 2009.

  1. dannewell15 macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2007
    Hey everyone, long time no see. I'm back with a bit of an issue with my Plastic Macbook (model 2,1). The top case is a bit broken on the edge by where my wrists rest and the bottom case is very cracked at the back near the fans. So my question is, is it possible for me to send my laptop to Apple and have them replace the top and bottom case without losing all of my data? And if so, how might I go about doing this and how much is it likely to cost?

    As a side point, I was wondering when I bought my laptop and I don't have a clue where the reciept might be so is there definite way to find out exactly when I bought my Mac?

    Many Thanks, Dan
  2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040


    Sep 28, 2008
    Even if you're out of warranty, Apple has been honoring case repair as a manufacturing defect quite it'd be a free repair.

    Call up AppleCare and see what they say. You'll want to back up your data, because sometimes they'll have to format the drive to run diagnostics if they can't login to your user account or something else happens....better safe than sorry.

Share This Page