Messenger 8.0 issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

So I'm using Office 2011 and among its apps the Messenger 8.0 (Build 100825) as well.

Here are two major issues I have come across:

1) Custom Emoticons - the new Messenger just won't recognize them, I mean the ones already on my HD. I installed Office 2011 alongside 2008. The Microsoft Messenger Data folder apparently remained the same for both suites, yet when I first ran Messenger 8.0 none of my custom emoticons appeared. I tried uninstalling Office 2008, but they still won't get recognized. I also tried removing the CustomEmoticons and Cache folders and placing them back, but to no avail.

What can I do about it? In all previous versions of Messenger Mac you could simply drag-n-drop the CustomEmoticons folder into the Microsoft Messenger Data folder and it worked like a charm. What's wrong with v. 8.0?

2) The little red "notice" of the number of msgs received that appears on the Messenger icon now always stops at "1", no matter how many msgs I have received. For the first couple of days it actually displayed the number correctly - if I received 5 msgs, there would be a no. 5 there, if I received 3, there would be 3 etc. But as of lately, it only shows a "1" at most.

I've thought about it and the only reason that comes to mind is the "receipts" I've deleted lately, which could possible have had an adverse effect on it. I wanted to remove all the remnants of Office 2008, so I went and manually deleted all the Office 2008 Receipts (the ones that said 12.2.5 etc - all but the 14.0.0 ones, which I assumed was the latest version of Office) and other files pertaining to the previous Office suite. Could it be that this in some way messed up my Messenger's msg count? (Btw, the msg count in Outlook still works fine.)

I'd appreciate any help (Nadyne?). Thanks!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The emoticons issue is a known issue that has been there from the original March release of the beta for 8.

The Mac team at MS has really gotten pathetic.

3. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I agree. They're morons.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. If A/V isn't a thing you desire, I'd use Adium.

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, a little update here: regarding my 2nd point - the little msg notices. They will apparently display how many different contacts you received a msg from, and not the total amount of msgs you just received from your contacts on Messenger (which I initially thought). So if, say, two different contacts sent you a msg each, a no. "2" will appear on the Messenger icon, etc.

The custom emoticons issue, however, definitely needs to be addressed.

6. buckers macrumors 6502

2nd'ed. Unless you need A/V, Adium is excellent. Been using it for a couple of years now; never looked back! :)

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

We'll probably have to wait four and a half years to get that addressed and to get offline messaging in version 9.

That will probably be the only new features.

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Hey, guys, I don't suppose this was ever figured out was it?

9. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Agreed with Adium

I have to agree with Adium. When it first came out and was part of the Gaim project it pretty much sucked and fire was the better of the evils for cross platform OSX chat clients. But now, with all the plugins and supported services I really think you'd have to try hard to find something it's can't do for ya. Give it a go! Let us know what you think...

http://adium.im/

10. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Blah, there has to be a way to fix the emotions