Messenger app with push notifications

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jake.f, Dec 26, 2009.

1. jake.f macrumors 6502

Hi Im just wondering if there is any messenger app that supports push notifications on the ipod touch? I just got one and was annoyed that ebuddy will support push notifications on the iphone but not the ipod touch. It doesn't matter if I have to pay for the app but if there is one pleas let me know as I would like to have to popup thing whenever I get a new message so I dont have to keep going back to the app.
    Thanks

2. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

I don't know where you looked, but the iPod touch also allows push notifications for eBuddy. I've been using it for several months and I get a message every time someone sends a message or nudges me. I don't remember if it is default, so maybe try checking the settings. I hope this helps you :)

3. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

All I can find in settings is a thing with how long you want it to stay signed in for and under that it just says push notifications disabled. What does it say in your settings screen

4. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

In settings, there are four sections, 'When exiting eBuddy' (the one that you can see), 'Buddy List' (Has the options about whats on your buddies list), 'Notifications' (Whether you want sound with alerts) and 'Chat Options', where there is an on/off option for 'Alert on new message'. If you still cant find it, post a screenshot of your settings page here and let me see. Also, try checking what version you have, could you possibly have an old one? Hope this helps :)

5. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

Palringo is another nice option if you don't get any luck with eBuddy.

eBuddy is now a bit ruined because of all the ads and crashes. Palringo is totally stable and the ads aren't intrusive. :3

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I use textfree and it has notifications and email receipts if wanted.

7. Boots- macrumors regular

Nimbuzz is a good app to use. I like it! Theres landscape mode and push notifications, and you can sign in to multiple accounts at a time

8. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok im losing my mind trying to get this to work. It seems that no matter how many apps i try they all quit and sign me out when i go back to the home screen, even if i have it to leave me connected!! I got fuze messenger, and it asked me if i wanted to use push notifications, i said yes but it did not work!! I also tried nimbuzz but no luck there either. I have a 2nd gen 8GB if that makes a difference at all. I have included a screenshot of my ebuddy settings page...

As you can see it says push notifications disabled, although it never asked me to enable them and there is no where to do it in settings.

Attached Files:

9. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

10. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Maybe he meant setting for the ipod touch itself? not sure since I don't have this messenger app. I have BeeJive though and love it. It's currently at $5.99 instead of the original price of $15.99 and former sale price of $9.99....

Good luck on eBuddy if anything or go for beejive if you wish.

-Tony

11. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

Can't find any settings for it in iPod touch settings, also the "alert on new message" has always been on. Ive tried a large amount of messenger apps now and NONE will work. Going to email Apple.

12. Boots- macrumors regular

I see why it signed you out, you have the setting set to sign out after 10 minutes. With ebuddy the higest you can set it at is to sign out after 2 hours.

13. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if I change it to 2 hours it still doesn't enable push notifications. For some reason push notifications don't work in ANY app, even when I got Myspace it said if I wanted to use them, I said yes but it still won't send me any. Does anyone think a restore would help?

14. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

It seems that it's not the apps that aren't working. I'm thinking maybe you have not turned notifications on. Try going to settings, and notifications is the second option. Check that notifications is turned on, then find ebuddy further down. There's three on/off options, sounds, alerts and badges. Check if these are all on. :)

15. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Also can you scroll down and show me more screenshots of the options in the ebuddy settings :)

16. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Question: What OS version re you using, and are notifications enabled in the general settings on your device?

17. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I seem to recall the notifications setting in settings not coming up until I used an app that had notifications. Possibly the app in question is waiting for the general settings to be enabled, and the general settings is waiting for the app to tell it to exist?

18. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using the latest OS, 3.1.2.
    Checked general settings, notifications are on for everything but the icon for it is a little red dot? Included is a screenshot, I am going to try a restore soon, maybe somehow the code for push notifications became broken.

Attached Files:

19. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

So you checked that all the options in "ebuddy" in "notifications" are on? Are all options in the actual ebuddy app turned on? If so, I don't have any other explanation for the problem. Try the restore, and tell us what happens.

20. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried the restore, getting the exact same problem, they are on, but not working. I made myself another MSN account for ebuddy so I could test it, when I exit it on my iPod I stay signed in, but get no push notifications at all. I am going to call apple support tomorrow for what will no doubt be a battle with the person on the other end telling me to "Just restore it"

21. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

For Myspace's push it didn't work when initially doing the update. I read online about having to delete it from your device then reinstalling it and it will work. Tried it and works like a charm. As for your issues... a restore might actually fix it. So far push works great for me.

-Tony

22. jake.f thread starter macrumors 6502

Calling support proved useless. According to this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3576
    a certain port needs to be open in my wi-fi router. I have been trying to get this to work all day to no avail.

23. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

I'm sorry to hear about your continued frustration :confused:
    However, I found out my friend has the same problem, and I think he's going to our local apple store to ask someone at the genius bar. If any solution comes up, I'll post it here :)