Messenger bag for laptop + camera, not fancy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Earendil, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Okay, first I will start y saying I have read over a dozen threads on this issue, and can not find something to my specifications.

I'm looking for a respectable messenger bag for a guy exiting college. I'm dumping the backpack look :)
    I want it to be able to hold a 15" macbook pro.
    Under $100
    A few small books/papers would be nice, but not large. I'm thinking 2-3 inches deep of books is plenty.

HUGE bonus would be if it can accommodate my DSLR at all. I'm not looking for a backpack, and I'm not looking for a giant bag with a shoulder strap. If my walk is effected by the bag, it is too big :)
    Since I know the question will come, I'll say that I intend to have a single small lense on my Canon 20D, possible a 70-200 4.0 if possible. But this is not going to be a camera gear bag.

So, within those specifications, does anyone have any ideas?
    I'm not really looking for anything outside of these specifications, because that is what the other millions threads here at MacRumors are about. I'm posting this because I haven't seen a discussion, nor can I find good reviews on bags in this category.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! :)

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I like the Incase Messenger (very roomy, well built, sleeve built in) or the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger size medium (indestructable, comfortable) with the sleeve of your choice. Both will hold the 15" MBP, some books and notebooks, and maybe even your DSLR off to the side provided you have a small case for it.

3. Maxington macrumors 6502

No question that one of the best purchases for a MacTop would be a Timbuk2 messenger back. I and 3 other family members all have one and love them. The best part is we all have different styles and sizes and the all work great.

Good craftsmanship and quality protection.

4. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

I keep finding good reviews on the Timibuk2 across the internet.

There appears to be a difference between the Laptop Messenger and the Commute Messenger, which the Laptop Messenger having a built in sleeve for a laptop.

Opinions on which is the best design?

5. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Laptop messenger is what you want

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Commute is much smaller, with a couple external pockets and swivel strap. The messenger is bigger (much, almost twice the capacity, I believe: 700ish vs 1400ish cubic inches). I personally prefer the messenger. Better style, better function.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

im getting a timbuk2 in a few weeks. you can also customize your bag via their website. There is a bookstore here that carries them (Powell books) and i took my laptop in there and the medium size laptop messanger fits perfectly! really a great bag. Also crumpler makes a great messanger bag as well. They make amazing camera bags as well.

9. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Rock on Portland :)

Looks like I may be getting a Timbuk2 than ;-)

Thanks everyone!

I'll monitor the thread in case anyone has other opinions though!

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Australian Bag Outfitters' classic Cobbler and Yakka are durable, surprisingly inexpensive, and won't make you look like a schmuck. Cobbler is pictured below. You can see more at sierratradingpost.com.
    [​IMG]

11. RainMeister macrumors member

TENBA

I bought the predecessor model 13 years ago, and along the way have tried lots of others (LowePro, Crumpler, Tamrac, etc.) and always come back to this bag. It's that good.

The Domke F803 is my favorite photo only bag since it can handle 2 SLRs with lenses attached, plus flash, batteries, flashlight, memory cards, etc. With a laptop sleeve, it also makes a great brief bag.

12. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Is there a separate pocket for the laptop in the Timbuk2? Couldn't see any from the pics. Looks very nice, though.

I just got the Incase messenger last week for my early 08 15" MBP, that was linked earlier in the thread. Loving it. The computer fits nicely in the furry pocket for it and has enough other pockets to accomodate almost all my needs. I can fit the computer, several notebooks and folders, a couple of average size textbooks, the power supply, pens/pencils, highlighters, binder clips, a pouch with all my flash drives, and still have a bit of room if I really wanted to pack it in.

It's really comfortable to trek around in, as well. I wish it had a couple more pen pockets (has three) and a completely removeable shoulder strap (though this one is nice and wouldn't replace it unless it wore out), but it was well worth the money and haven't seen one around that I would choose instead yet.

13. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I recently purchased a North Face "Onsite" messenger bag for my 15 mbp. Like most Mac people and tech geeks, I've gone through my fair share of bags. My wife comments that I need "help" with this harmless little addiction ;) . But to this point, this bag has been tremendous! Very sturdy, good padding, lots of packets and well thought out pocket for your power block as well as being good looking enough to be professional.

Give it some thought.

Coachingguy

14. uncleSmurf macrumors regular

uncleSmurf

Crumpler Messenger bags. I have the Considerable Embarrassment and jut ordered the SoupanSalad Son-O. They have bags made for laptops, regular messenger, laptop messengers, dslr bags. etc.

I might be late on this thread so...