Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
So my Tom Bihn Ristretto for the iPad (now discontinued, appropriately...) barely fits the new iPad Pro (ironically, the 12" MacBook fits nicely inside) and I find myself seriously considering a new Messenger Bag.

So far 2 options stand out for me:

The Field Muzetto
A larger Tom Bihn Ristretto

Does anyone have any other opinions or recommendations for an appropriate Messenger Bag? My priorities are something that protect the iPad Pro well (with Smart Keyboard Cover / Case / Pencil) and is as well fitted as possible without taking too much extra space.

Thanks in advance :)

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I have a wax canvas Muzetto (now replaced in the lineup with the Field Muzetto) and it might be the best bag I've ever owned. I've been very happy with everything I've ordered from SF Bags. Extremely high quality, beautiful pieces.

I'm currently using a larger Ristretto for my pro (the old style without the zipper) and it's ok, but it's no Waterfield bag.

Reactions: jazz1

masotime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I have a wax canvas Muzetto (now replaced in the lineup with the Field Muzetto) and it might be the best bag I've ever owned. I've been very happy with everything I've ordered from SF Bags. Extremely high quality, beautiful pieces.

I'm currently using a larger Ristretto for my pro (the old style without the zipper) and it's ok, but it's no Waterfield bag.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you prefer about the Muzetto versus the Ristretto?

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Although not technically a messenger bag, I recently picked up the Waterfield Designs Bolt Briefcase, and it's gorgeous. The "medium" bag easily holds the IPP in the laptop compartment.

It comes with a shoulder strap (in addition to its handles) so it can be slung over the shoulder or across the body, messenger-style.

I'd recommend taking a look - it's beautiful, extremely well-made just like all other Waterfield products, and highly functional, to boot.

Reactions: artfossil and jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Although not technically a messenger bag, I recently picked up the Waterfield Designs Bolt Briefcase, and it's gorgeous. The "medium" bag easily holds the IPP in the laptop compartment.

It comes with a shoulder strap (in addition to its handles) so it can be slung over the shoulder or across the body, messenger-style.

I'd recommend taking a look - it's beautiful, extremely well-made just like all other Waterfield products, and highly functional, to boot.

I like the Bolt 13" laptop model for my iPP. I just wish the Apple Keyboard Case and the Apple SmartCover and back cover were not made of such rubbery material. It is not the case's fault, but there is a fair amount of friction/drag storing or removing the iPP from the padded compartment of the Bolt.

I also like the moisture resistant zippers and the various internal and external compartments for equipment. It also has a pass through for your rolling luggage handle. Great for travel.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007

I'm in the market for a new bag and this is exactly what I want. Curious what variation of the Bolt you got? Trying to decide between wax canvas with chocolate or grizzly leather, but not sure if the contrast of the chocolate or lack of contrast with the grizzly is my preference. Did you get wax canvas with either of those options?

Also, do you think the medium size could fit a laptop AND the Pro (laptop is for work, X1 Carbon).

So glad I didn't pull the trigger on TimBuk2 yet, this bag looks much nicer.

Aikidosensei

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
Devon - UK
My preferred

I don't think iPad Pro fits in that.

I have the sling for my retina macbook , it just fits both of them in, but I know one day I will catch the iPad cover on the zip so I have decided to get a new bag, annoying , because Im in the UK and had to wait a while for the sling bag to arrive.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
I just picked up the grizzly leather Muzetto w/green finish. Perfect size for the IPP, and will limit me from carrying too much stuff. It's also some of the highest quality leather I've ever seen!

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
I like the Bolt 13" laptop model for my iPP. I just wish the Apple Keyboard Case and the Apple SmartCover and back cover were not made of such rubbery material. It is not the case's fault, but there is a fair amount of friction/drag storing or removing the iPP from the padded compartment of the Bolt.

I also like the moisture resistant zippers and the various internal and external compartments for equipment. It also has a pass through for your rolling luggage handle. Great for travel.
Very interesting. I have the white Apple SmartCover only, and it's a breeze to put in and take out of the Bolt. Not much friction at all.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
I'm in the market for a new bag and this is exactly what I want. Curious what variation of the Bolt you got? Trying to decide between wax canvas with chocolate or grizzly leather, but not sure if the contrast of the chocolate or lack of contrast with the grizzly is my preference. Did you get wax canvas with either of those options?

Also, do you think the medium size could fit a laptop AND the Pro (laptop is for work, X1 Carbon).

So glad I didn't pull the trigger on TimBuk2 yet, this bag looks much nicer.
Hi, I got the Medium Bolt bag, in waxed canvas with chocolate leather, and I absolutely love it. The contrast between the leather and the canvas is really nice.

As for the fit, it's definitely possible to fit a laptop and the Pro in it, if you put the laptop in the dedicated laptop compartment and put the IPP in the main compartment. But, there may not be a ton of room for a lot of other stuff. I have most of my accessories stored in Waterfield accessory bags, which slip into the main compartment, and I can fit two bags, side-by-side, with two more in front of them. I would imagine the IPP would take up half of that space.

That said, I have no problem fitting all of my accessories and gear into this bag.

I've had Timbuktu bags, too. I had the Command Messenger, twice actually. While it's a nice bag, with lots of room and functionality, it has a very different sense of style (not better or worse...just different) than the Waterfield bags.

I hope this helps!

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I have the sling for my retina macbook , it just fits both of them in, but I know one day I will catch the iPad cover on the zip so I have decided to get a new bag, annoying , because Im in the UK and had to wait a while for the sling bag to arrive.

So are you saying that it's a tight fit with both Macbook and iPP in there simultaneously? Or are you saying either one fits fine but the iPP is pushing its luck in there? If it's the former, when only the iPP is in the bag, is it still at risk of damage? I like the design of that bag but there's zero chance I'll find one locally to test it out for myself.

Reactions: unknown23

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Hi, I got the Medium Bolt bag, in waxed canvas with chocolate leather, and I absolutely love it. The contrast between the leather and the canvas is really nice.

As for the fit, it's definitely possible to fit a laptop and the Pro in it, if you put the laptop in the dedicated laptop compartment and put the IPP in the main compartment. But, there may not be a ton of room for a lot of other stuff. I have most of my accessories stored in Waterfield accessory bags, which slip into the main compartment, and I can fit two bags, side-by-side, with two more in front of them. I would imagine the IPP would take up half of that space.

That said, I have no problem fitting all of my accessories and gear into this bag.

I've had Timbuktu bags, too. I had the Command Messenger, twice actually. While it's a nice bag, with lots of room and functionality, it has a very different sense of style (not better or worse...just different) than the Waterfield bags.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, very helpful. I went with wax canvas and grizzly leather. Been looking for a bag with this style for a long time! Sounds like a quality bag.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Thanks, very helpful. I went with wax canvas and grizzly leather. Been looking for a bag with this style for a long time! Sounds like a quality bag.
Congrats! I'd be curious to know what you think of it, once it arrives and you begin using it. I was very torn on the color combo - waxed canvas with chocolate leather, or waxed canvas with grizzly leather. In the end, I figured both will look awesome and I just went with my first instinct, which was chocolate leather.

What size bag did you get?

riffola

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
NYC
Just an FYI, the Timbuk2 Command 2015 Messenger Bag in Small is *too big* for the iPad Pro. It's about 16 inches wide. It's great if you have other things to carry and want a reasonably water resistant bag, but if you prefer a much smaller bag, then the Thule Stravant Attache Case 13" is a good choice, it's one of the smallest bags with a messenger bag style strap.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Just an FYI, the Timbuk2 Command 2015 Messenger Bag in Small is *too big* for the iPad Pro. It's about 16 inches wide. It's great if you have other things to carry and want a reasonably water resistant bag, but if you prefer a much smaller bag, then the Thule Stravant Attache Case 13" is a good choice, it's one of the smallest bags with a messenger bag style strap.
I actually like that Thule bag quite a bit and since they stock it in the Apple Store, I brought one over to the iPad table and put the iPad Pro in it. It definitely fit, but it came enough out of the inside pocket for it and close enough to the top zipper opening that I was a little leery. Maybe just because it's thinner than a typical laptop so it felt more exposed. A 13" Air is an inch less wide but 13" pro is wider than IPP so it should work.

I have been tempted to get this bag for my Air 2 to downsize from a regular backpack, esp since I don't have to carry my laptop back and forth. My only hangup is having enough room to comfortably fit my Bose QC 15s.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Very interesting. I have the white Apple SmartCover only, and it's a breeze to put in and take out of the Bolt. Not much friction at all.

Are you using the padded compartment, or just the center storage area (which is large and unpadded on the bottom)?

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I totally cheaped out and picked up a Samsonite Xenon 2 13" portfolio bag. Sucker retailed for $100 ( once upon a time) was $50 and marked down to $20 at BB. Construction appears solid with good zippers.

Appears ideal fit for Air 2, Bose, and various sundries. Lots of good pockets and center pocket for tablet/computer is slightly suspended for added protection. Tried out an IPP and seemed to fit fine, was even able to fit Air 2, Bose, 14" laptop, power cable, and mouse with some room to spare. Not my usual every day carry but good to know it could be done.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsonite-xenon-2-laptop-portfolio-black/9401325.p?id=1219015280004

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Thinking about picking The Field Muzetto myself but it might be looking too much like a ladies bag. I want something similar looking (Indiana Jones type of bag), not sure if I'd like it.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Thinking about picking The Field Muzetto myself but it might be looking too much like a ladies bag. I want something similar looking (Indiana Jones type of bag), not sure if I'd like it.
I like the looks of these quite a bit, and agree the idea of an Indiana jones style bag is tempting. Same thing holds me back, don't like the nagging feeling this could pass as a purse.

Plus I try to be marginally aware that something that looks cool on someone else, won't necessarily look cool on me

Getting old sucks, lol.

Reactions: luigi408

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Are you using the padded compartment, or just the center storage area (which is large and unpadded on the bottom)?
I'm using the padded laptop compartment to hold the iPad Pro w/ Apple Smart Cover. I use the center storage area to hold bagged accessories (Watefield accessory bags). The iPad Pro with Smart Cover slide in and out of the padded compartment very easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.